Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Jan 26, 2014 News
Scores of homes at Diamond and Grove, East Bank of Demerara are again without telephone services, and the main contractor involved in road works in the area is being blamed.

GT&T says that poor collaboration by the contractor on the East Bank Demerara road is again causing outages to Diamond and Grove.
According to the Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GT&T), it is acutely aware of the repeated service disruptions customers have been experiencing since construction works commenced on the portion of the East Bank Demerara Public Road between Diamond and Grove.
“Regrettably, it would appear that these service disruptions will continue, and can possibly increase in frequency, unless and until the contractor, B. K. International, coordinates more closely with GT&T to ensure that stipulated guidelines are followed and facility identification markers are complied with in order to preserve the integrity of the telephone plant buried alongside that road alignment.”
The telephone plant facilities which are most vulnerable to damage and degradation by the contractor’s activities serve a total of 452 households in the two contiguous communities, GT&T said.
“However, thousands of other customers, associated with both of the two national telecommunication providers, are also adversely affected in so far as they are unable to reach customers in Diamond and Grove during periods of service disruption.”
The road works have been ongoing for several months now and have faced delays with the movements of the utilities.
GT&T said it will continue to collaborate closely with both the Ministry of Public Works and Communications and the contractor with a view to ensuring care and caution in the execution of the works.
“We do appreciate your patience and will spare no effort to bring you the relief you deserve.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.