Latest update May 18th, 2026 12:35 AM
Oct 30, 2025 News
(Kaieteur News) – The two Venezuelan nationals accused of bombing the Regent Street gas station on Sunday allegedly used a KFC food run as cover to scout the site before carrying out the deadly attack that claimed the life of six-year-old Soraya Bourne and injured several others.
According to a senior police officer, investigation so far revealed that sometime between 11 a.m. and 12 noon on Sunday, the prime suspect, identified as Daniel Alexander Ramirez Peodomo, and his Venezuelan accomplice travelled to Georgetown in a motor car along with a female accomplice and a hired taxi driver. “They parked the car in the vicinity of the gas station. The female accomplice then exited the vehicle and went to the KFC outlet at the said location, where she purchased food for the two Venezuelans,” the senior officer disclosed. “It was during that time that the Venezuelans took the opportunity to conduct surveillance of the fuel station before executing their act to bomb the station,” the officer added. After completing their reconnaissance, the suspects reportedly returned to Region Three, the officer said.
Police investigations have also confirmed that the suspects entered Guyana illegally through a backtrack route in the Pomeroon River, before being dropped off at Parika, East Bank Essequibo. From there, they made their way to Georgetown, where the deadly attack was later carried out. As of press time, the Guyana Police Force was holding around nine suspects, including Peodomo, who was caught on surveillance camera setting the device that triggered the explosion at the Regent Street Service Station.
Meanwhile, for the first time since the deadly explosion Sol Guyana Inc. has spoken publicly, announcing that it has launched a full internal investigation into the tragedy. The company, which is the authorised distributor of Mobil fuels in Guyana, confirmed that its probe will run parallel to the official investigation now being led by the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Guyana Police Force (GPF).
In a statement issued on Wednesday Sol Guyana Inc. said it is deeply saddened by the tragic explosion. “Our sincere condolences go out to the family of young Soraya Bourne who lost her life, and our heartfelt thoughts remain with all those injured or affected. We also extend our appreciation to the emergency services, authorities, and our retailer for their swift and professional response,” the company said.
According to Sol, at this time, authorities led by the Ministry of Home Affairs are on-site conducting a thorough investigation. “The Guyana Police Force has confirmed that the incident is being treated as a criminal matter and that an individual believed to have caused the explosion has been identified and is presently in Police custody assisting with the investigation. Sol remains fully committed to cooperating with the relevant authorities as the investigation continues and has also launched an internal review in collaboration with the retailer. We recognize the public concern surrounding this devastating incident and reaffirm that the safety and well-being of our team, customers, and community remain our top priority. Sol will continue to share verified updates as they become available and urges the public to follow official safety guidance and avoid the affected area while investigations are ongoing,” the statement read.
Crime Chief, Wendell Blanhum told reporters at a press conference held at the Ministry of Home Affairs on Tuesday that Peodomo and his accomplice have some affiliation with a “gang in Venezuela known as ‘R’” which is linked to the Sindicato gang. The Sindicato gang has been linked to several violent cross-border crimes. The Crime Chief said investigators learned that the explosive device was activated moments after the main suspect exited a car and walked into the Mobil Gas Station at Regent and King Streets, Georgetown. The powerful blast killed Bourne and injured four others, including children and adults. Investigators are now working to determine the motive behind the attack and whether it was linked to organised transnational criminal activity.
Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) showed the suspect, clad in a blue jersey, what appeared to be black trousers and a khaki hat, entering the gas station and first attempting to place a bulky black bag in a bin located at a pump station. An attendant, who was seated there, forbade him from placing the bag in the bin. The man then ventured to the area of the fuel station where it is reported that cooking gas was stored. Shortly after, the car little Soraya Bourne and her family traveled in was seen slowly reversing before the bomb exploded causing the girl and her relatives to be pitched into the air.
Further, the Guyana Police Force (GPF) said it has been pursuing all leads through collaboration with its local, regional and international counterparts, including INTERPOL. A Special Investigative Task Force was established comprising members of the Major Crimes Investigation Unit, Criminal Investigations Department Headquarters, Regional Divisions 3, 4A, and 4B and other key stakeholders, supported by intelligence and forensic experts. The investigation was also coordinated with continuous oversight by the Commissioner of Police and senior officers.
Blanhum assured the public that the suspect is cooperating with investigators. “…He indicated to us that the device had a switch which he activated when he exited the vehicle which was parked in the vicinity of the gas station.”
Peodomo, who has declined to have an attorney present during the interrogation, is still being interviewed and according to Blanhum, the questioning is being done through a translator. The Crime Chief opted not to state whether the man speaks English. “We are concerned…attacks of this nature are not only perpetrated in Guyana,” Blanhum told reporters given that gang attacks have since moved from the hinterland regions to the city. “I recently came back from an Interpol organised conference. We had participants from the various South American countries…Guyana… we made our position clear that we need to have more cooperation and collaboration especially as it relates to exchanging information of individuals who are part of these organised criminal groups. For example, the Sindicato. There is another group in Venezuela that is creating havoc in other countries… that is “Tren de Aragua”,” said Blanhum.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 18, 2026
2026/27 West Indies Regional 4-Day Championships Finals…GHE vs. TTRF Day 1… – TTRF 1st inns. (240-9 Seales 63*) entering Day 2 By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – A burst of venom at the...May 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The photographs told the story before a single word was spoken. At the recent meeting between the General Secretary of the People’s Progressive Party and party activists from the East Bank of Demerara, Linden and reportedly other areas, the arrangement of the room itself...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – When a member of the New York Police Department hears mention of the IAD, red madness takes over. IAD stands for Internal Affairs Division. IAD is not respected by its cop constituency. It is feared. Feared like the Grim Reaper’s chainsaw. IAD snoops around, builds files, can...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com