Latest update August 17th, 2026 10:20 AM
Aug 10, 2024 News
Kaieteur News – Vice President (VP) Bharrat Jagdeo on Thursday said that the Trinidad & Tobago (T&T) firm that had its contract terminated for failing to complete the Conversation Tree road project, will not be getting any further government contracts.
The VP made the revelation during his weekly press conference where he stated that the government has already recovered all its resources from that contractor.
It was reported in the media that the Guyana Government was forced to terminate the contract it signed with a Trinidad and Tobago firm for the western section of the Conversation Tree Road project following months of delays and other setbacks.
The government through the Ministry of Public Works has now engaged the other contractor who was working on another section of the road to complete the remaining works.
At his latest press conference, the VP told the media, “The Trinidadian contractor will not get any more work because they have already not completed this work, we have made it clear we terminated a contract. This contractor was working at the airport (CJIA) too, we had difficulties there. We made it clear that’s how we treat them.”
Kaieteur News had reported that the $1.8 billion road project which entails the construction of a four-lane carriageway from the East Coast Highway to Delhi Street, a double-lane carriageway on the reserve west of Delhi Street for northbound traffic, concrete revetments between the East Coast Demerara Highway and Railway Embankment with concrete drains on both sides of the proposed roadway between the railway embankment and Delhi Street, and two large concrete bridges to create a link to Dennis Street, is divided into two lots.
The project which was awarded by the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB) office last year saw that Lot 8A of the project was awarded to S. Jagmohan Construction and General Supplies Inc. to the tune of $1,066, 358,738, while Lot 8B was awarded to Trinidad’s Kallco Guyana Inc. to the tune of $830,293,458.
It was reported that in June this year, the contract with Kallco was discontinued. Responding to questions posed by Opposition MP David Patterson on the project, Minister of Public Works Juan Edghill revealed last month that the contractor was then paid $465,223,474 which translates as 56% of the contract sum for advance work.
Edghill further revealed that no liquidated damages or other penalties were applied, since the government reached an “amicable settlement” with the contractor. The minister claimed too that his ministry took possession of $153, 600, 000, worth of equipment from the company to cover the recovery of the outstanding monies owed on the advance payments.
Further, in response to Patterson, Minister Edghill revealed that a new contract was awarded to S. Jagmohan Construction and General Supplies Inc via sole sourcing to the tune of $844,027,988.
Meanwhile, as it relates to an airport project, back in August 2021, Minister Edghill had witnessed the signing of a contract with Kallco Guyana Incorporated valued over $513.7 million for the construction of an office building there at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 17, 2026
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – The Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Under-14 Boys made a commanding start to the 2026 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) U14 Challenge Series, securing a resounding 8...Aug 17, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – One of the persistent afflictions of post-colonial societies is the absence of planning commensurate with ambition. Governments announce grand projects, inaugurate grand buildings, make grand speeches and produce grand visions, but somewhere between the vision and the delivery...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 17, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – I have heard about a hanging judge. From readings, I know about travelling judges. There’s familiarity with governing judges better known as Administrative Law Judges. Thanks to the leader of the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), Mr. Aubrey Norton, I now have my...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com