Latest update July 31st, 2026 12:35 AM
Apr 13, 2017 Sports
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – Fast bowler Jerome Taylor has made an abrupt about-turn and come out of retirement from Test cricket, only ten months after quitting the longest format.
The West Indies Cricket Board said yesterday the 32-year-old Taylor had indicated that he was again available for selection, after stepping aside from Tests last July.
Having played three first class matches for his native Jamaica Scorpions in recent weeks, Taylor could now find himself in contention for a Test spot in the upcoming three-match series against Pakistan.
“I believe I still have a lot of cricket left in me and I know I can still offer a lot to West Indies cricket in the Test arena,” he said.
“If selected, I will look to put my best foot forward and give my all for the team. We have some young players in the group at the moment and I believe with my experience, I can add to the team going forward.”
Taylor had abruptly called time on his Test career ahead of the four-Test series against India last year, but remained available for selection in the shorter formats.
He subsequently turned out for the Windies in the three-match Twenty20 series against Pakistan in United Arab Emirates last year when the Caribbean side suffered an embarrassing whitewash.
Taylor was among the leading wicket-takers in the Regiona Super50 earlier this year with 16 scalps, including a superb five-wicket haul against Guyana Jaguars at Kensington Oval.
Chief selector Courtney Browne welcomed Taylor’s latest decision, saying the Jamaican’s experience would be a welcome boost to the current selection pool.
“It is good to see that Jerome has decided to come out of retirement and make himself available for Tests once again,” Browne said.
“When you look at the volume of cricket we have this year, we will need to look at all the resources we have available, and having someone of his ability and experience adds value to our player pool.”
Taylor has played 46 Tests and taken 130 wickets at an average of 34. He has made a single Test century – 106 against New Zealand in Dunedin nine years ago.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Jul 31, 2026
– Discussing governance, workforce development, tourism and Sport ecosystem Kaieteur Sports – In what policy makers are calling one of the largest sport gatherings of its kind, the Ministry...Jul 31, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There is something increasingly troubling about the rush by some people to demand the heads of two Ministers over the M.V. Barima tragedy. The problem is not that Ministers should never be held accountable, but that accountability should come after the facts are established,...Jul 19, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Few issues test the sovereignty of small states more severely than requests made by powerful friends. How should a country respond when cooperation is expected, but the proposed terms exceed its legal, financial and institutional capacity? That question...Jul 30, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – A tragedy of catastrophic proportions is now Guyana’s to manage. An old passenger ferry boat went to the bottom. According to news reports of Saturday, 73 bodies have been recovered and 76 rescued. Taking the official count of 179 passengers on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com