Latest update April 6th, 2025 6:33 AM
Aug 30, 2012 News
In seeking further international assistance in gathering evidence against the perpetrators of the recent Linden shooting deaths, the Alliance for Change (AFC) is currently in possession of a letter of authorization from the Ministry of Home Affairs, for a ballistic expert to visit Guyana while being granted a work permit.
The AFC Chairman Nigel Hughes yesterday at the party’s weekly press conference said the party will be advising the ballistic expert to visit in sufficient proximity to the commencement of the commission of inquiry, thus enabling him to testify before the commission, rather than have the professional visit twice.
“As soon as we know when the commission of inquiry will be available we will try and have him come at that time.”
The AFC Chairman expressed disappointment that an original request had not been granted – although it was long before the police conducted their own ballistic tests – to have an independent ballistics expert observe the process. The arrangement, he said, had been frustrated by the government, which had to authorize a work permit, and that took until August 24.
“The issues of that are the integrity of the evidence and the chain of custody of evidence between the evidence extracted from either the deceased or injured, and what happened to them between that period of when the police forensic ballistics expert conducted their examination, and of course what happened since then, because we have no assurance that what would be provided to the ballistic expert when he arrives here is consistent with what was retrieved from the deceased or the injured.”
He underscored that the AFC intends to work with Region 10 in participating in an independent effort to rebuild and improve the region, until it becomes a destination for investments and later a model community for independent economic survival and sustainability by the citizens of Linden.
“We believe that the tragic events on 18 July 2012 have provided an opportunity for the people of Linden to be able to start a new life, in which they are going to be less dependent on the state, and of course, pursue a more independent economic future so that investments in the community can be made primarily by Lindeners who have gone overseas, and internally,” Hughes asserted.
The AFC had already hired Trinidad-based Pathologist, Professor Hubert Daisley, to view the autopsies on the victims.
After the post mortem examinations, Professor Daisley told reporters that bronze fragments were removed from the bodies of two of the slain men, who were shot in the region of the heart. He said that the fragments suggested that one weapon was used to kill the two victims. The third victim was shot in the back.
The pathologist surmised that bronze-tipped rounds were used and that the weapon was a handgun.
Apr 06, 2025
DCB Under 19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament… Kaieteur Sports- Action in the Demerara Cricket Board (DCB) U19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament saw Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA)...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There are moments in the history of nations when fate lays before them a choice not of... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]