Latest update April 4th, 2025 12:14 AM
Sep 25, 2009 News
Three of the five men who police have nabbed in their latest interception of gangs in Berbice are well known characters, according to a source close to the investigation.
One of the suspects was recently released from jail on a murder charge in Berbice.
This newspaper was told that the suspect, Samuel Fraser, who was freed only a few weeks ago, is said to be the mastermind for the latest gang captured by the police.
Investigators said that after Fraser was freed, he immediately started to organise the gang.
Another gang member, Mahohar Seadat, is a deportee who returned to the country in March this year after serving three years in jail in the USA for possession of drugs. The other man is Sherman Thomson who is a new recruit.
Apart from these three suspects, two taxi drivers, one who allegedly took the men to the scene and another who was driving the getaway car, are also in custody.
Police arrested five men whom they believed were responsible for terrorizing and robbing a businessman Subash Singh, 50, his wife Jaiwantie, 47 and their family of Hogstye, Corentyne, Berbice around 02:00 hrs on Tuesday of over $6M in cash and jewellery.
Three of the suspects were arrested around 4am the very day at Kildonan Village, Corentyne, Berbice at a road block. The police intercepted a white car and seized a .38 revolver with five matching rounds and a bag with wet clothing.
The two other persons were subsequently detained.
Early Tuesday morning, Singh and his family were awakened by a loud banging on the front door.
The bandits then proceeded to break down the door using a sledge hammer and entered the home.
Once in the house, the men went to the bedroom in which the family members had secured themselves and demanded that they open the door which they once again refused to do.
The men broke that door too with the sledge hammer after discharging a round at the door.
When the 30 minutes ordeal was over, the bandits had already carted off $5.2 million in local currency, US$8,700 and Surinamese $1,085.
The victims operate a hollow block factory and lumber yard at their home.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]