Latest update May 21st, 2026 12:35 AM
Mar 23, 2026 News
(Reuters) – Cuba is prepared for the unlikely possibility of a military engagement with the U.S., Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernandez de Cossio said at the weekend in response to U.S. President Donald Trump’s threats to take over the Caribbean Island nation.
Havana and Washington entered talks earlier this month as an oil blockade imposed by Trump pushes the Communist-run nation deeper into economic crisis. Trump on Monday escalated his rhetoric against Cuba, saying he expected to have the “honor” of taking Cuba.

Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister, Carlos Fernandez de Cossio speaks during a press conference following an armed incident involving a Florida-registered speedboat and a Cuban patrol, in Havana, Cuba, February 26, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Alien Cabrera
“Our country has historically been ready to mobilise as a nation as a whole for military aggression … We don’t believe it is something that is probable, but we would be naive if we do not prepare,” de Cossio told NBC’s “Meet the Press” in remarks aired on Sunday. “We don’t see it would have to occur, and we find no justification whatsoever.”
Reports had suggested the Trump administration was seeking to remove Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel from power.
De Cossio also said any suggestion of the nature, the structure, or members of the Cuban government being subject to negotiation in talks with the U.S. is untrue.
He added a regime change is “absolutely” off the table in discussions with the United States.
The U.S. military is not rehearsing for an invasion of Cuba or actively preparing to militarily take over the island, the top general overseeing American forces in Latin America told lawmakers on Thursday.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 21, 2026
2026/27 West Indies Regional 4-Day Championships Finals…GHE vs TTRF Day 4 – Guyana lose by 141 runs after pacers dominate 2nd innings By Clifton Ross (Kaieteur News) – Trinidad and Tobago...May 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There was a time, not too long ago, when some – not all – overseas Guyanese approached Guyana with caution, disgust and the occasional handkerchief pressed dramatically to the nose. They came down from New York and Toronto with accents that had ripened in exile, and with...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 21, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Guyanese know that Pres. Ali is prone to verbal excess. A standard not likely to be reversed. Citizens who had contact with him, actually heard him, have had orchestra seats to his blasts of the artificial (solemn promises to the grieving hurt by...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com