Latest update May 21st, 2026 12:35 AM
Jan 06, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – Three days after a 24-hour deadline for miners to up their declarations and get themselves aligned with Guyana’s laws and requirements for the local mining sector was issued by President Irfaan Ali, the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission on Monday announced the suspension of mining operations of 107 Brazilians.
In a release, the commission said subject to the immediate suspension of all mining operations, Permissions to Operate, and any related authorizations.
“Such suspension takes effect immediately and shall remain in force pending the affected persons’ engagement with, and compliance to the satisfaction of, the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission,” the oversight body relayed.
It said the notice was issued without prejudice to any further regulatory or enforcement action which the commission may lawfully pursue.
Last Friday, President Ali had given foreign gold miners, particularly Brazilian nationals, who have had low to zero declarations, 24-hours to fully comply with local laws and the requirements surrounding gold declaration.
The head of state had earlier met with the leadership of the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) at state house, where instructions were given to immediately address non-compliance in the gold mining sector.
According to the president, all gold miners must fully comply with their obligations to declare all gold produced in 2025. He further directed that all registered dredges with no declarations will be deregistered. “All foreign miners operating illegally in Guyana must be identified for prosecution and expulsion. It was also noted that some Brazilian miners operating in Guyana have had very low or no declarations. These miners have 24 hours to comply fully with the laws of Guyana and the requirement to declare to the Guyana Gold Board,” the post stated.
He said the Guyana Gold and Diamond Miners Association (GGDMA) and the MNR will work together to ensure that all miners, across every category, are registered with the ministry and have a local bank account.
The meeting with officials of MNR, GGMC and GGDMA followed a recent announcement by President Ali that there would be a comprehensive assessment of Guyana’s mining sector to be completed and presented on January 5, as the government moves to strengthen accountability, environmental protection and production compliance across the industry.
President Ali had explained that the assessment will review every mining license, claim, and operational decision, with firm action to follow where miners fail to declare production or hold lands without productive use.
The head of state also announced that gold declarations will now be linked to mercury purchases to reduce under-declaration, environmental harm, and illegal activities in the industry. “We are going to link the mercury they buy with their declarations. If they have land that they are working on and there is no declaration, those lands will be repossessed,” the president stated.
He stressed that environmental destruction without production will not be tolerated. “There is no sense destroying the environment if there is no production,” President Ali added.
He observed that the mining sector, which faced a serious decline, has recovered, thanks to significant financial incentives that have helped protect miners and workers during global crises and supported communities near rivers and in remote areas.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 21, 2026
2026/27 West Indies Regional 4-Day Championships Finals…GHE vs TTRF Day 4 – Guyana lose by 141 runs after pacers dominate 2nd innings By Clifton Ross (Kaieteur News) – Trinidad and Tobago...May 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There was a time, not too long ago, when some – not all – overseas Guyanese approached Guyana with caution, disgust and the occasional handkerchief pressed dramatically to the nose. They came down from New York and Toronto with accents that had ripened in exile, and with...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 21, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Guyanese know that Pres. Ali is prone to verbal excess. A standard not likely to be reversed. Citizens who had contact with him, actually heard him, have had orchestra seats to his blasts of the artificial (solemn promises to the grieving hurt by...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com