Latest update May 19th, 2026 12:35 AM
Oct 02, 2024 News
![Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile system intercepts rockets, as seen from Ashkelon [Amir Cohen/Reuters]](https://i0.wp.com/kaieteurnewsonline.com/images/2024/10/Iran.jpg?resize=769%2C512&ssl=1)
Israel’s Iron Dome anti-missile system intercepts rockets, as seen from Ashkelon [Amir Cohen/Reuters]
Aljazeera– Iran has launched a barrage of missiles at Israel in response to the killing of senior Hezbollah and Hamas officials, sending Israelis rushing to bomb shelters and raising fears of all-out war in the region.
Alarms sounded across Israel and explosions could be heard in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv after Israelis piled into bomb shelters late on Tuesday.
Israeli military spokesman Daniel Hagari said there were no reports of casualties from Tuesday’s attack, and that the army does not see “any more threats in our airspace”. He said in a video message that people in Israel were safe to leave shelters.
Israel’s emergency services said at least two people sustained light injuries “from shrapnel in the Tel Aviv area”.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the missile attack on Israel was a response to the killing of Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah last week, as well as that of the Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh earlier this year, Iran’s Fars news agency reported.
“In response to the martyrdom of Ismail Haniyeh, Hassan Nasrallah and [IRGC Guards commander] Nilforoshan, we targeted the heart of the occupied territories,” the IRGC said in a statement.
It said Iran had launched tens of missiles at Israel, and that if Israel retaliated, Tehran’s response would be “more crushing and ruinous”.
Iran’s state television said 80 percent of the missiles launched at Israel hit their targets.
The Israel military meanwhile, said a “large number” of missiles had been intercepted.
Speaking to reporters, Hagari said the attack was serious and will have consequences “in a timely manner”.
A senior Iranian official told the Reuters news agency that the order to launch missiles at Israel was made by the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Khamenei remains in a secure location, the senior official added.
‘We absolutely need a ceasefire’
The United States said its forces were ready to provide “additional defensive support” to Israel after helping protect it from the Iranian missile attack.
“Our forces remain postured to provide additional defensive support and to protect US forces operating in the region” after “defending against Iranian-launched missiles targeting Israel,” a US defence official said on condition of anonymity.
Iranian-backed Iraqi armed groups meanwhile said US bases in Iraq and the region will be targets if the US joins any response to Iranian strikes on Israel or if Israel uses Iraqi airspace against Tehran.
The firing of missiles came after Israeli troops launched a ground raids into Lebanon, in the biggest escalation of regional warfare since fighting erupted in Gaza last October.
Al Jazeera’s Dorsa Jabari, reporting from the Lebanese capital Beirut, said some people there were celebrating Iran’s missile attack.
“We’ve heard over the last 20 minutes Iran’s unprecedented attack on Israel. Non-stop gunfire and fireworks being set off across the capital,” Jabari said.
In neighbouring Jordan, the civil aviation authority said air traffic was temporarily suspended following the attack.
The country’s Public Security Directorate said its air defences intercepted missiles and drones.
“The Royal Jordanian Air Force and air defence systems responded to a number of missiles and drones that entered Jordanian airspace,” a statement said.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the “broadening conflict in the Middle East”.
Slamming “escalation after escalation” in the region, Guterres said in a statement: “This must stop. We absolutely need a ceasefire.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 19, 2026
Guyana’s 60TH Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports Kaieteur Sports – Guyana’s 60th Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports programme kicked off in the past week with four disciplines and three...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The debate over Article 13 of Guyana’s Constitution is not simply about words. It is about political power, who controls the state, and whether ordinary people truly have authority in national decision-making. The defenders of “inclusionary democracy” present it as a...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Pres. Ali and the PPP Gov’t celebrates jobs, jobs, jobs. Question One: who’s doing them? Sure, there are more jobs. Question Two: what kind of jobs? Since the people to do high-level, top-quality jobs aren’t here. They keep running away. When only Haiti did worse than...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com