Latest update August 19th, 2026 8:14 PM
Dec 21, 2017 News
The Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) is investigating an alleged scam in Region 6 involving the sale of lands by an individual not authorised to conduct business on behalf of the agency.
According to the authority yesterday, it has been brought to its attention that a woman purporting to represent the agency has scammed several persons in the Region of thousands of dollars.
“Last week two men visited our Regional Housing Office to enquire of lands they paid for, only to be told that the agency does not have any records of transacting business with them. The men related to housing officials at the Regional Office that they were approached by a woman claiming that she could have gotten lands for them through the agency at a reduced cost,” CH&PA said.
According to the authority, one of the men paid the woman $150,000 for three house lots with a balance of $180,000 for his children while another paid $70,000 with a balance of $60,000.
“Similar cases have been related to the housing office but individuals are unwilling to provide further information. The agency will be turning the matter over to the police; however, persons are asked to be on the alert for scammers,” CH&PA said.
According to the authority, all payments relating to the sale of land or housing units must be done at the agency’s Georgetown Head Office, Regional Housing Offices or Regional Democratic Council, if so advised.
The authority has been saddled with countless reports of these scams, with arrests made, but also numerous allegations surfacing of staffers being involved.
CH&PA has been battling to reduce the number of applications – said to be over 20,000 – for house lots and turn-key homes that it has on file.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 19, 2026
CPL – Keemo Paul delivered a superb all-round performance to inspire the Jamaica Kingsmen to their second consecutive win in the Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), as they defeated...Aug 19, 2026
Kaieteur News – Some persons have pounced upon an internal controversy within the Caribbean Court of Justice and the subsequent disclosure that the President of the Court, Justice Winston Anderson had become involved in trying to resolve Guyana’s long-running judicial impasse over the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) In over six years, 10 percent of Guyana’s stated oil reserves is gone. There’s confidence that Exxon will find more replacement oil. The company may have come across more proven reserves than it has been saying. But that’s for another day. It is a rather lonely figure that...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com