Latest update August 21st, 2026 10:20 AM
Jul 22, 2017 News
An ex-policeman was yesterday remanded to prison after denying two robbery under-arms charges. Twenty-four-year-old, Edwin Nunes of 32 West Meten-Meer-Zorg, West Coast Demerara, was refused bail when he appeared before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.
It is alleged that on July 18 at Campbellville, Georgetown, while being in the company of others, and armed with a cutlass and knife, he robbed Damion Charles of two silver rings, one silver chain and other items valuing $45,000.
It was further alleged that on the same day in question, Nunes, while on Sheriff Street, in the company of others, and again armed with a knife, robbed Parmanan Harrilall of a cellular phone valued$20,000.
Police Prosecutor Harris objected to bail being granted to the defendant citing the serious nature of the offence and the penalty the charge attracts.
The Prosecutor proceeded to tell the court that the defendant was previously charged for a similar offence at the Leonora Magistrates’ Courts.
The court heard that on the day in question, Harrilall was about to enter his vehicle when the defendant, who was dressed as a woman, approached him and asked to be taken to a bar on Sheriff Street.
According to information, when Nunes got into the vehicle, he took out a knife from under his dress and ordered the victim to hand over his valuables.
Harrilall, being fearful for his life, handed over his cellular phone and Nunes made good his escape.
According to information, on the same day in question at about 12:20 hrs, Charles was walking north along Sheriff Street, when Nunes came out of a yard with an abandoned building, and pointed a knife at him and told him to hand over his valuables. Nunes then made good his escape with the victim’s jewellery.
Both victims went to the Kitty Police Station where reports were made. Nunes was then arrested. The alleged victims and Nunes then had a confrontation at the police station where Nunes was positively identified as the man who robbed them.
The defendant was then charged for the offences. Senior Magistrate Daly told the court that she was remanding the defendant to prison, citing that he was previously charged. He will make his next court appearance on August 11.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 21, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – Guyana junior athletes proudly represented the Golden Arrowhead at the CAREBACO Junior Badminton Championships, held in Jamaica from August 14–18, 2026. Guyana captured the...Aug 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – A report in yesterday’s Kaieteur News that some 35,000 students across the Caribbean absconded from the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations ought to make every education policymaker sit up and take note. The figure is startling, but before we begin...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – It is why I like these swashbucklers operating out of Spring, Texas. They know how to keep others on their toes, and to lull their partners in host counties to sleep. There was Big Chief Darren Woods during his 31st July second quarter report breaking open the champagne. ...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com