Latest update August 21st, 2026 10:20 AM
Jul 20, 2016 News
Government, through the Ministry of Social Protection’s Department of Labour will soon begin talks with the private sector and union bodies to review the national minimum wage paid to workers.
The current minimum wage paid to public servants stands at $50,000, while that of private sector employees is about $35,000. Minister within the Ministry of Social Protection, Keith Scott said the intention is to bring the private sector minimum wage in line with that of public servants.
Earlier in the year, the Ministry had reported that they (the ministry) along with the trade union bodies and the private sector had been conducting a country survey to ascertain what the average private sector employee was earning.
During an interview with the Government Information Agency, Minister Scott explained that the Ministry’s survey has been completed and is now awaiting the unions and the private sector’s assessment results.
“We are still awaiting the trade unions to submit the results of their survey and the private sector to submit their survey. The last tripartite meeting, they said to me that they have arrived at their own survey…however the Government already has their survey ready and what we are waiting is for the three to come together and out of that process we will be able have a minimum wage across the board,” Minister Scott explained.
He further noted that the Government is at the point where it is paying a standard minimum wage of $50,000 and, “We can’t force the private sector to pay the minimum wage… but with this tripartite meeting, we are hoping to pay the workers at whatever we arrive at, this is the direction because we want to have the input of the stakeholders.”
Minister Scott pointed out that the Ministry has also been engaging public sector agencies including the Neighbourhood Democratic Councils (NDCs) to comply with the public servants’ minimum wage
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 21, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – Guyana junior athletes proudly represented the Golden Arrowhead at the CAREBACO Junior Badminton Championships, held in Jamaica from August 14–18, 2026. Guyana captured the...Aug 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – A report in yesterday’s Kaieteur News that some 35,000 students across the Caribbean absconded from the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations ought to make every education policymaker sit up and take note. The figure is startling, but before we begin...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – It is why I like these swashbucklers operating out of Spring, Texas. They know how to keep others on their toes, and to lull their partners in host counties to sleep. There was Big Chief Darren Woods during his 31st July second quarter report breaking open the champagne. ...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com