Latest update May 24th, 2026 12:45 AM
Jul 29, 2014 Sports
By Edison Jefford
Following a meeting last Saturday, the Executive of the Guyana Amateur Basketball Federation (GABF) instituted a number of bans and fines on senior national basketball players for what was called “off court misconduct” during Caribbean Basketball Confederation (CBC) Championships in the British Virgin Islands earlier this month.
Those who deliberated on the appropriate sanctions included GABF President, Nigel Hinds, Vice –President, Michael Singh, Vice-President, Kenrick Thomas and Vice-President, Haslyn Graham at the Cara Lodge.
“The following suspensions and fines were unanimously agreed on and the cause for disciplinary action by GABF was due to the refusal of the players to return team uniforms and warm-up suits when requested by GABF Management,” the federation said.
The suspensions and fines became effective yesterday and will remain in effect until the fines are fully paid; the fines will also remain in effect until uniforms are returned in good condition to the GABF and/or the suspension period expires, whichever occurs last.
The disciplinary actions taken by the GABF include:
The three players, who eventually returned all team uniforms, namely, Shelroy Thomas, Akeem Kanhai and Ray Victor were each fined $20,000. Ryan Stephney, who returned all the GABF gear except the white uniforms, was fined $30,000.
“Stephney will not be allowed to participate in any tournament, clinic, or tour held or approved by the GABF or its members until the fine is fully paid and the uniforms are returned to the GABF in good condition or the GABF is compensated for the uniforms,” the statement said.
Failure to return the uniform by February 1, 2015 results in an additional fine of $25,000 being imposed as reimbursement for the uniforms. All the suspensions and fines carried the caveat of “players will not be allowed to participate in any tournament, clinic, or tour held or approved by the GABF or its members until the fine is fully paid.”
Shane Webster, Ryan Gullen, Andre De Florimonte, Keron McKenzie and Gordon Klaiber are players who refused to return any of the uniforms and were fined $40,000 each. Their penalty for not returning the uniforms by February 1, 2015 carries an additional $70,000.
Andrew Ifill, Dwayne Roberts and Rawle Marshall played leading roles in usurping the authority of management and refused to return any uniforms; these players were each suspended for one year and fined $80,000. An additional fine of $70,000 will be imposed for failing to honor the stipulated deadline.
Meanwhile, the GABF has instituted a six months ban, effective yesterday, on Necosia Mitchell, “for knowingly making false statements to her Coach, Ann Gordon that impacted the composition of the Guyana Women’s Team.
“The GABF will continue to work diligently towards the development of basketball in Guyana and will remain vigilant on matters relating to the expansion and growth of basketball activities, discipline and compliance with the statutes of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA),” the federation said in its closing remarks on the action. The GABF is affiliated to FIBA, and is recognised as the authority for basketball administration in Guyana.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.