One of the suspects who was part of a gang that beat and raped a 40-year-old woman in Bath Settlement, West Coast Berbice on Monday is still in police custody assisting with investigations.
A source at the Fort Wellington Police Station told Kaieteur News yesterday that so far the suspect has not confessed to the act, but the source stressed that if and when evidence surfaces, he will be charged.
The source added that the investigation into the incident is still ongoing, but could not comment on whether the investigators have any leads into the incident, or if they are close to capturing the other men who are said to be involved in the incident.
On February 2, last, the woman who is said to be of unsound mind, was grabbed by a number of men and taken into an abandoned house, where she was brutally raped and beaten.
Kaieteur News was told that the woman was beaten so badly that her entire face is swollen and discoloured and as a result of her injuries, the woman was vomiting blood.
The woman could not say exactly how many men there were, but could only identify one of them, who is in his late twenties.
This newspaper understands that after the men committed their act, the woman was left motionless in the house and her constant scream for help is what caught the residents’ attention, and they in turn rescued her at around 6:00 am the next day.
After realizing what had happened, the residents rushed the badly injured woman to the Fort Wellington Hospital, where it was confirmed that she was sexually assaulted.