Latest update April 2nd, 2026 12:40 AM
Dec 25, 2025 News
(Kaieteur News) – Ratio Petroleum Energy has disclosed that the Kaieteur Block could be abandoned if required extensions and approvals are not granted by the Government of Guyana. This is according to a December 1 disclosure filed with Israel’s Securities Authority and Stock Exchange.
In the notice, Ratio said partners in the 3.3-million-acre offshore block were asked in December 2025 to indicate whether they intend to make an additional investment or abandon the acreage. The company noted that any decision to continue operations depends on conditions set by the Government of Guyana and determinations by the Ministry of Natural Resources.
“As stated in section 1.1.2.2 of Chapter A of the Periodic Report, a partner that does not receive an extension during the extension period in order to make an additional investment in the Block is required to submit a request for extension as soon as possible, which request must be accepted and approved by the Government in order to allow continued operations in the Block. If such an extension is not obtained, the partnership will be required to abandon the Block.
Furthermore, after the expiration of the extension period, a partner that does not receive approval to demand the return of the Block will be required to abandon the Block. It is further clarified that any partner that does not find a suitable partner will be required to act in accordance with the conditions of the law, inter alia, to examine the possibility of abandoning the Block or part thereof, subject to additional sections, including section 1.1.2.2 of Chapter A of the Periodic Report,” the company said according to unofficial translation.
A few months ago, Ratio Guyana Limited (RGL), notified the government of the portion of the block it is prepared to relinquish while continuing its search for a new partner.
Ratio had submitted a request for an extension of the exploration period. Before this, former operator ExxonMobil Guyana Limited (EMGL) had sought an extension citing the Coronavirus pandemic. After Exxon and its partner Hess withdrew, Ratio applied for another extension on similar grounds.
Under the Kaieteur Petroleum Agreement, when applying to enter the second extension period, RGL and Cataleya Energy Limited (CEL) were required to commit to drilling a well before relinquishing 20 percent of the block, or, if preferred, the entire contracted area.
Ratio had been seeking to bring in another partner or several, with the intention of one becoming operator and leading future drilling. The company said it had contacted numerous energy companies since Exxon’s exit, and while several expressed initial interest and reviewed data, all ultimately declined because of geological risks and challenges related to achieving a commercial discovery.
Ratio had previously stated that if no partner is found who can serve as an operator and conduct drilling in the block, and if no further extension is granted for the decision deadline, it will find it difficult to make a decision to proceed and commit to drilling.
The agreement for the Kaieteur Block was signed in 2017, under the condition that the oil companies were only allowed to conduct oil exploration in 40 per cent of the block, to steer clear of aggressive tactics from Venezuela. A 3D seismic survey acquired for the southern portion of the block covered 5,750km2 and provided the foundation for a significant prospect inventory on the block.
Notably, a single prospect has been drilled to date, which resulted in a sub-commercial oil discovery. The ExxonMobil-operated Tanager-1 well, which was drilled in August 2020, encountered 16 metres of net oil pay, a discovery of approximately 65 million barrels of oil in the prospect area, based on independent estimates by Netherland, Sewell & Associates Inc. (NSAI). However, this discovery was considered to be non-commercial as a standalone development. In spite of a number of postponements, ExxonMobil had decided not to exercise its option to drill a second well on the block and subsequently pulled out from the Kaieteur Block.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
Apr 02, 2026
2026/27 CWI Rising Stars Men’s U-16 bilateral 50-Overs tournament…Guyana vs. Barbados Kaieteur Sports – A brilliant spell of seam bowling from Leon Reddy, backed by a decent knock under...Apr 02, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The law governing extradition between Guyana and the United States is not a modern bilateral treaty, but the inherited framework of the 1931 Extradition Treaty between the United Kingdom and the United States. This column does not accept the validity of that Treaty. But it is a...Mar 29, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – The Organization of American States is approaching a defining test, not of its existence, but of its significance. It continues to meet, to commemorate events, but fails to tackle pressing political issues. At a time of global turmoil, economic strain, and...Apr 02, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Over 2,000 years ago, Judas assured Jesus and the brethren that he was a genuine partner. A man in the trenches with them, one labouring in the rich fields of God. A man striving against the powers in the towers that held elders and scribes and all kinds of experts in the law,...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com