Latest update May 24th, 2026 12:45 AM
Oct 29, 2025 News
By Rehanna Ramsay
(Kaieteur News) – Amid widespread speculation that the Guyana Police Force had failed to apprehend the main suspect – Daniel Alexander Ramirez Peodomo, in Sunday night’s deadly gas station bombing, Crime Chief, Wendell Blanhum has assured the nation that investigators are confident that they have the right individual in custody.
Blanhum told reporters at a joint press conference at the Ministry of Home Affairs on Brickdam on Tuesday that confessions from both the main suspect and his accomplices have left no doubt about the suspect’s identity.
He said proper identification of the suspect is not an issue, seeking to quell rumours that the wrong person had been arrested. The explosive attack at the Mobil Gas Station on Regent and King Streets, Georgetown claimed the life of six-year-old Soraya Bourne and left several others, including children, seriously injured. According to Blanhum, both the main suspect and his accomplice admitted to traveling from Venezuela and bringing the explosive device with them. The bomb was reportedly activated as soon as the main suspect exited a car to enter the station, resulting in the devastating blast.
In a statement early Tuesday, police reported that acting on information received, a team of police headed by a superintendent, went to Vergenoegen sideline dam, East Bank Essequibo where the main perpetrator (terrorist suspect), Daniel Alexander Ramirez Peodomo, was promptly arrested. Police said he is presently in custody, assisting with the ongoing investigations into the tragic explosion.
Blahnum said, “What we were able to confirm is that he has some affiliation with a gang in Venezuela known as R and R is linked to the Sindicato gang. Secondly, on the issue of identification – there is no issue about identification…the issue of identification does not exist. The prime suspect was positively identified by one of his accomplices. Moreso, the suspect as was mentioned before confessed to his involvement in this particular crime. There is no issue about identification any longer.”
Shortly after the explosion, surveillance footage containing a hazy image of the suspect was released on social media. He was dressed in a blue jersey and black pants and had on a baseball cap. The suspect was recorded on CCTV footage planting two bulky plastic bags next to the gas bottles before leaving the area.
The Guyana Police Force (GPF) in a release noted they had embarked on a manhunt for the perpetrator who is believed to be a national of a Spanish-speaking country.
Police then issued an initial wanted bulletin for the man seen in the video. The Force purportedly used AI to clear up the images which received wide circulation across social media platforms. The police later issued an updated bulletin identifying the suspect as a totally different person and offering a $5 million reward for information leading to his capture. Following investigation leads, the law enforcement agents recovered the clothing of the suspect in Region Three.
Just hours after the GPF released another image and a statement announcing that they had nabbed the suspect at Vergenoegen, East Bank Essequibo (EBE). Citizens on social media reacted with skepticism and disbelief whether the right man is in their custody. The police nonetheless remain positive that they have the right man.
Speaking to reporters at the press conference on Tuesday, Commissioner of Police Clifton Hicken expressed confidence in the GPF capability to conduct a thorough investigation. Hicken said, “The force in collaboration with the Safe City Command Center and allied intelligence agencies utilised video, forensic analysis digital tracking to trace the suspected movements before and after incident. Acting on credible information, through inter-agency coordination and field intelligence investigators were able to locate the suspect at Vergenoegen Side Line Dam, East Bank Essequibo where he was captured earlier today.”
He continued, “This success underscores the integration of modern policing technology which today …demonstrates the forces growing capacity in countering terrorism and difficult intelligence operations.” The Commissioner promised that the GPF will update the public on the incident as soon as new information becomes available.
On Monday, the Ministry of Home Affairs reported that an advance team from the Guyana Forensic Science Laboratory, which includes Indian forensic scientists specialising in fire and explosive scene investigations, is working along with local specialists providing technical support. “Following their assessment, the team will advise on any additional resources or measures required to expedite the investigative process”, the Ministry said in a release on Monday.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 24, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – In celebration of Guyana’s 60th Independence Anniversary, the Lusignan Golf Club will host the Ready Mix Concrete Limited / Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport Independence...May 24, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Guyana today enjoys one of the most enviable fiscal positions in the developing world. Its debt-to-GDP ratio remains moderate, debt servicing costs are manageable, and rising oil revenues have dramatically strengthened the country’s balance sheet. Yet these comforting...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 24, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – I must be franker than usual with my fellow Guyanese. Whenever I hear three words in the hallowed English Language I cringe. They are not ‘I love you.’ The three words that cause considerable unease are sanctity of contract. Hence, I must be...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com