Latest update May 24th, 2026 12:45 AM
May 29, 2025 News
Kaieteur News- A 35-year-old man was on Wednesday remanded to prison for allegedly assisting foreign nationals in lobbing improvised bombs at a police outpost and a Guyana Power and Light station.
He was officially charged with committing a terrorist act. The accused Seon Carmichael of Lot 205 Land of Canna, East Bank Demerara (EBD), appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court before Acting Chief Magistrate Faith McGusty.
Carmichael was not required to plead to the two counts of the indictable charges which alleged that between May 15 and 17, 2025 he facilitated a terrorist act, which is the bombing of the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Georgetown Substation on Mandela Avenue, and the bombing of the East Ruimveldt Police outpost.
The defense was led by Attorney-at-law Everton Singh-Lammy who requested bail on behalf of Carmichael. Lammy told the court that the suspected bombers had threatened to kill Carmichael and his family if he reported the matter to anyone. As a result of such, the lawyer said his client remained quiet. He added that if a proper investigation is carried out by the police they will successfully find the suspects.
The attorney argued that his client assisted the police with the investigation by providing them with video interviews and written statements of what transpired on the day in question. Lammy noted that his client bought a few screws and other items for the suspects, however, because of the type of work the men do his client did not suspect anything until after the incident. Moreover, Lammy requested reasonable bail before the trial since there is no way the matter will conclude in reasonable time.
Carmichael told the court that one of the suspects is known to him and he normally provides him with a transport service. He added that he was paid $20,000 to transport the men. The prosecution objected to bail due to the serious nature of the charge, noting that the accused facilitated a terrorist act and he did exclude himself from the charge.
They mentioned that Carmichael used his vehicle to transport the suspects to and from the crime scenes and he also purchased components to make the grenade. Magistrate McGusty after hearing the arrangements remanded Carmichael due the serious nature of the offense and that it was a threat to public safety. The matter was adjourned until June 18, 2025.
Kaieteur News reported on Wednesday that the Guyana Police Force (GPF) had issued wanted bulletins for two Spanish-speaking men and a Brazilian national over two explosions in the city on May 17 last. The explosions occurred after midnight and blew off the back gate of the East Ruimveldt Police Outpost at Vlissengen Square and East Front Road, Georgetown. The second occurred just moments later at the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Substation on Mandela Avenue.
Investigations have so far pointed police in the direction of three foreign nationals. “The police are pursuing three individuals, two Spanish-speaking men and a Brazilian national known by his alias, ‘Flavio Tasso’”, police told Kaieteur News on Tuesday. Flavio had allegedly introduced the Spanish-speaking men to the bus driver, who assisted them in renting three rooms at a hotel in Stevedore Housing Scheme, Georgetown. The Brazilian had also told him that the men had come to Guyana to do “bad things”, police said.
Police also said that investigators have compelling evidence against the Spanish-speaking men to suggest that they were the ones behind the explosions and have even impounded the vehicle used to transport them to the scene. “We haven’t confirmed whether they are from Venezuela of Colombia, or some other country,” police said, while assuring, “Investigators are still making earnest efforts to confirm the nationality of the two Spanish-speaking suspects”.
Media reports are that security cameras mounted on buildings close to the East Ruimveldt police outpost captured the moment its gate was blown off. “A loud explosion originating from the southern side of the outpost rocked the compound,” police said in a statement on May 18, adding that “A police rank (identified as a female), on duty at the time, heard two distinct blasts, followed by debris impacting nearby rooftops.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 24, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – In celebration of Guyana’s 60th Independence Anniversary, the Lusignan Golf Club will host the Ready Mix Concrete Limited / Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport Independence...May 24, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Guyana today enjoys one of the most enviable fiscal positions in the developing world. Its debt-to-GDP ratio remains moderate, debt servicing costs are manageable, and rising oil revenues have dramatically strengthened the country’s balance sheet. Yet these comforting...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 24, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – I must be franker than usual with my fellow Guyanese. Whenever I hear three words in the hallowed English Language I cringe. They are not ‘I love you.’ The three words that cause considerable unease are sanctity of contract. Hence, I must be...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com