Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:45 PM
Mar 29, 2025 News
—- protesters tell Commissioner of Information
By Davina Bagot
Kaieteur News- Scores of Guyanese from various walks of life on Friday picketed the Office of the Commissioner of Information, Charles Ramson Sr. on East Street Georgetown, over his failure to fulfill the duties prescribed by the Access to Information Act (2011).
The activity was supported by the members of the press, Red Thread, Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC), Transparency Institute Guyana Inc. (TIGI), Opposition Members of Parliament, lawyers and other members of civil society, including former Georgetown Mayor, Ubraj Narine.
Most citizens at the exercise, organised by Attorney-at-Law and advocate for good governance, Christopher Ram called for the removal of Ramson from his post. In an interview on the picket line, Ram said he was really impressed by the turnout of citizens from different walks of life who are concerned about the absence of information, which creates the condition for corruption, bad governance and bad decisions. He said, “We are saying look, we have an Access to Information Act, pursuant to a Constitutional, fundamental right to information- both to receive and to impart information.”
The lawyer went on to point out that the Act has been in existence for about 14 years, with the Commissioner appointed for about 12 years, to no effect. He argued that the legislation and office has been non-functional. To this end, Ram said, “The protest is to draw attention to the non-functioning of the Act to say look, at least the government, and the President holds responsibility for this matter. He needs to do something about this to ensure that citizens have a right to information; he should have instructed the Commissioner of Information to speak to the press. This arrogance that is being demonstrated by the Commissioner of Information is unacceptable and it has to be brought to an end.”
Additionally, Ram explained that the protest seeks to ensure that the legislation becomes activated and later amended to strengthen access to information. He told this newspaper, “I really think he’s (Ramson) not fit for the job. He has demonstrated an incapacity to do the job.”
Ram has encouraged Guyanese to continue to support the picket exercise that will continue next week at the same venue from 12 noon. He was also keen to note that the protest is likely to shift to the Office of the President, should the activity fail to bear any fruit.
TIGI
Former TIGI President, Frederick Collins who joined the activity explained that the organisation previously made attempts to “test” the system. He described what the body received in response was a “sharp rebuke” and instructions to call the Commissioner of Information by his “correct title”.
Collins argued that while the Office is amply remunerated, the nation receives “nothing” from the Office. Consequently, he explained, “We are calling for the system, the law to be improved but for the law as it is to deliver information which it can, if the government decides that it will work.” The former TIGI President told this newspaper that Ramson is capable of performing his duties, should he so choose, and if he is allowed by government.
Opposition
Several members of the Opposition, specifically from the Alliance For Change (AFC) also joined yesterday’s protest. Among them Leader of the party, Nigel Hughes, Catherine Hughes, David Patterson, Sherod Duncan and Juretha Fernandes participated. Patterson told this newspaper that citizens, like himself, continue to run into stonewalls where access to information is concerned. He also highlighted the fact that the Office of the Commissioner of Information has failed to table Annual Reports in Parliament as required by law.
The Member of Parliament (MP) went on to explain, “Every year religiously $40M is voted for the Office. There is no accountability whatsoever. Persons that legitimately would like to know what is going on can’t find out and I know for myself in particular would have asked for the contracts for the Gas-to-Shore project with Exxon and all the other projects. This request was made in the National Assembly and they refused to answer and the Prime Minister didn’t answer.”
Patterson said he was told that the Commissioner of Information is the person that should provide the information he requested. He detailed that attempts were made by himself years ago to access information through the Commissioner, however he was reportedly told that all means to access information should first be exhausted.
The MP said that since 2015 the previous administration knew Ramson was unfit for the post. He said the then government attempted to remove him and pay him off in keeping with his contract but the matter was taken to Court and stalled there until the PPP returned to office. According to him, “The PPP finds him fit; the rest of the country, we believe somebody else would serve in the position much better.”
Civil society
Another advocate for good governance, GHK all explained, “As a citizen, I am concerned about where we are in terms of being unable to access information that is necessary for the citizens of this country to know.” Lall reasoned that the Law was enacted for this purpose but has not been operationalised. According to him, “It is there and its dead weight. Its sitting on a shelf somewhere and it means nothing because you follow all the procedures stated in the law and you get nowhere.” He added, “He certainly has not delivered in the position which he has held for several years now and I think if I am in that position and this is what is coming off the ground, then my self-respect would prompt me to do something about that, which is either to deliver information or depart.” Lall said he was calling for either of the two options.
GTUC
Meanwhile, President of the GTUC, Lincoln Lewis said he was supporting the activity since the organization believes in citizens’ rights, the rule of law and advocating for change. Lewis said he had written to the Commissioner as well as the late Ramon Gaskin in the past who never received responses. “That’s the level, I don’t know if its arrogance or what…those people you don’t keep them in public office. Those guys believe that the state property belong to them. He doesn’t believe in responding.” The Head of the Union said he hopes the protest continues which will receive his support. The picket was also supported by Kaieteur News Publisher, Glenn Lall.
(‘Put up or get out’)
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com