Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Mar 16, 2020 Sports
Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 (formally known as 2019-nCoV) is the name for the respiratory syndrome caused by infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).
The Noval Corona Virus (COVID-19) Global Pandemic has touched every corner of the world and it is the first time for many that they are experiencing a global virus stalling the playing of sports the world over.
No one and no sport is spared from this challenge that has gripped the world. Ever since the World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 as a pandemic and the increased number of international travel restrictions falling into place, Governments have been taking all the necessary steps to take control of this match they are in against COVID-19.
Sports events, competitions and promotional activities across the spectrum have been hit by the outbreak mere months away from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics which from this vantage point, seems to be under threat; the torch relay got under way on Thursday last when the flame was lit by the rays of the sun in ancient Olympia in a scaled-down ceremony overshadowed by the coronavirus pandemic.
However, Tokyo Games organisers as well as the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have insisted the Games will go ahead as planned on July 24- Aug. 9, amid mounting speculation that they could be canceled or postponed as the virus spreads rapidly across the globe.
From basketball to football, tennis, golf, badminton, squash, hockey, cricket, motor racing and the list goes on, have all been rocked by this pandemic.
The sports industry pundits have said is the hardest hit industry so far. Simon Chadwick, Director at the Centre for the Eurasian Sport Industry, Emlyon Business School, discussed how much the virus has cost the sports industry.
“Thus far, it’s very difficult to know exactly how much has been wiped off the value of sport as a result of the virus. Obviously it’s developing, we know that events such as the Olympic Games, Formula One, European football are monitoring the situation very closely,” he said.
“My view is, at some stage there will be postponements and money lost. There are noises coming out of China already from, for example, sportswear manufacturers that suggest up to half of their business has been wiped out. But to be able to aggregate this, we need a clearer picture of what’s been postponed, what’s been cancelled, who’s been affected in what way. But I think it’s safe [to say], in general terms, we’re talking about millions, possibly billions, of dollars,” Chadwick added.
While a number of athletes have been tested positive and their teammates opting to be self-quarantined after being in contact with their colleagues, we are aware that scientists and other medical experts are working overtime to come up with a vaccine to combat this virus and we pray that as they have projected, in another nine (9) months or by the summer, this can be reality.
It has been reported that on Wednesday last that FIFA President, Gianni Infantino met with the Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, at the WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, to discuss how football can help the WHO respond to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and what measures should sports governing bodies and administrators take in specific situations.
“Sports governing bodies and decision makers should always keep in mind that health comes first,” Mr Infantino and Dr Tedros said in a joint statement. “All sports bodies must be ready to follow national guidance, based on thorough risk assessments, to stage safe events or take other required Actions that protect the
health of fans, players, coaches and the broader communities.”
WHO and FIFA, working in conjunction with other leading figures in world football, will launch a joint awareness raising campaign and engage in various initiatives to ensure all people receive needed advice to protect and promote their health and that of their communities.
In 2019, WHO and FIFA, football’s world governing body, agreed a four-year collaboration to promote healthy lifestyles through football globally.
Persons are being further advised to be wise and disciplined in order for us to control this latest health challenge.
Apr 04, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]