Latest update April 4th, 2025 6:13 AM
Oct 31, 2019 News
A teenage boy yesterday appeared in court and was granted bail by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan for allegedly snatching a man’s phone.
The teen, 18-year-old Andre Price of East Coast Demerara, is suspected to be the culprit who snatched a man’s phone while he was standing in front of Ibet Supreme over two weeks ago. Price was arraigned in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court when the charge was read to him.
The charge read that on October 17, 2019 at Croal Street, Georgetown, Price stole from Kevin Lowe, one Samsung cell phone valued at $40,000. Price pleaded not guilty to the said charge.
According to information received, a number of young men were seen walking in a group on Croal Street, Georgetown in CCTV footage. As they kept walking, they noticed a guy standing in front of Ibet Supreme on his cell phone. Two of the guys then turned in the direction of Lowe who was reading a text message on his phone and not aware of what was going on around him.
Price walked further and stood a few inches from the victim stared at the building (Ibet Supreme) and as he passed in front of the victim, he reached out and snatched the man’s phone and made good his escape while his friends kept walking.
The victim started to chase after the phone snatcher and a security guard from Ibet Supreme walked out and followed after the victim who was in pursuit of the guy who snatched his phone. The matter was reported and the defendant was later arrested and charge for the offence.
Police prosecutor Annalisa Brummell made no objection to bail being granted to the defendant but asked that conditions be attached.
Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan grant the defendant $10,000, bail with the condition that he must report to the Brickdam Police Station every Monday until the completion of the matter. The matter was adjourned to November 6, 2019.
Last week, three teenage boys were jointly charged for a similar offence. The three boys are said to be in the group the defendant was seen walking with when he snatched Lowe’s phone. Senior Magistrate Leron Daly remanded Daniel McArthur, Shawn Inniss and Harcarlaus Harris to prison for a similar offence.
McArthur, Harris and Inniss are jointly charged for robbing Ethan Muckoo on October 17, 2019 at Camp Street, Georgetown of a Samsung Galaxy cell phone valued at $280,000 and an $80,000 Iphone. During or immediately after the robbery, they used personal violence on Muckoo.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com