Latest update April 6th, 2025 5:50 AM
Aug 10, 2018 News
Three men who were accused of breaking into the Stabroek Market jewellery store of L. Seepersaud Maraj and Sons and carting off $22M in gold and diamond jewellery were yesterday granted bail by Senior Magistrate Fabayo Azore in the sum of $1.5M each and will return on September 20 for commencement of trial.
The men, 66-year-old, Clifford Rodney of 265 One Mile Wismar, Linden; 55-year-old, Albert De Freitas of 100 Leopold Street, Werk-en-rust and 31-year-old, Trayon Parks, of 107 Eccles, East Bank Demerara, were previously denied bail on two occasions by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan
It is alleged that between July 2 and July 3 last, at Stabroek Market, they broke and entered the jewellery store of L. Seepersaud Maraj and stole a quantity of gold and diamond jewellery valued $22M.
Rodney, De Freitas and Parks were represented by Attorneys-at-law Pamela DaSantos, Kenzia Williams and Adrian Thompson respectively. Their attorneys had pleaded to the court to grant their clients bail, citing that their clients were beaten repeatedly to confess to the burglary.
The lawyers said they were told by their clients that officers had placed black plastic bags over their (the men’s) heads and subjected them to electric shocks. The court further heard that the accused were repeatedly struck on the testicles.
Prosecutor Neville Jeffers indicated that the defendants should be remanded, citing the serious nature of the offence and the value of the stolen articles.
He added that all three men have matters of similar nature in the courts and if bail is granted that they would not return.
The Prosecutor also stated that the defendants admitted in a recorded interview to cutting open the safe and removing the articles.
Prosecutor Jeffers went on to tell the court that CCTV footage showed the three men entering the Sleep Inn Hotel. He stated that it was there that they divided the jewellery.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There are moments in the history of nations when fate lays before them a choice not of... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]