Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:31 AM
May 15, 2017 News
Work has re-started on the Palmyra Monument Site, which collapsed a few weeks ago.
A worker at the site told reporters that instead of using hollow blocks as was done previously a “solid cast” will be done for the structure to withstand the weight of the monument. The worker explained that the design remains the same,
It was also revealed that a new engineer is now in charge of the construction and his name has been revealed as Alvis Macedo from Soesdyke.
The workers claimed to have no contact number for the man and stated that he is only seen on Saturdays, when he visits Berbice to pay them.
As reporters continued to question the foreman, he became hesitant to answer and asked reporters to leave the site, based on instructions given from “the consultant”.
He stated that no one is allowed to visit the site without permission from the company.
The base of the structure collapsed a few weeks ago. Since then, many questions have surfaced regarding the identity and competence of the contractor.
After investigations the Linden-based company was revealed as Alternative Contracting Enterprise, owned by Derek Wilson. Marlon Cumberbatch, who previously told reporters he was the contractor, and later changed his portfolio to the supervisor, was revealed as the engineer. He has since been relieved of his duties.
In March 2017, Prime Minister, Moses Nagamootoo, together with the Indian High Commissioner, Venkatachalam Mahalingam, had unveiled a signboard depicting the monument at the chosen Palmyra location.
Some $97 million was allocated for the project with a US$150,000 bronze sculpture contributed by the Government of India.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]