Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
Apr 27, 2017 Court Stories, Features / Columnists, News
The trial of Kwame Mc Coy, Jason Abdulla and Shawn Hinds who are charged with assaulting newspaper columnist, Frederick Kissoon by allegedly throwing faeces into his face is continuing before Magistrate Judy Latchman.
They have each been ordered to post $100,000 bail.
According to reports, the trio is accused of throwing fecal matter into the face of newspaper columnist, Frederick Kissoon, when he emerged from Nigel’s Supermarket, Robb Street, Georgetown on May 24, 2010. It was reported that the men walked up to the newspaper columnist’s vehicle and threw the substance on him.
Based on reports, after the attack Kissoon managed to drive behind the perpetrators who reportedly ran north along Light Street then west into North Road, before entering a waiting motorcar.
Kissoon reportedly tried to intercept the motorcar but backed off to avoid a collision. At present a Voir Dire (trial within a trial) is ongoing to ascertain the admissibility of caution statements and oral statements given by the defendants. Police Inspector Detective Suraj Singh testified to taking statements from two of the defendants. According to the witness, at no time did he or any other police rank assault the defendants.
Earlier on in the trial, Police Inspector Detective Devon Lowe, who is attached to the Major Crimes Investigations Unit, testified to taking statements from Shawn Hinds and Jason Abdulla.
Inspector Lowe also testified that he made an entry in the Criminal Investigation Department Headquarters station diary and showed it to Hinds, who said it was correct. Inspector Lowe said that Hinds then affixed his signature to the entry.
According to the Police Inspector, the said station diary was also shown to Abdulla for him to read an entry but he looked at it and replied yes and refused to sign.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]