Latest update April 4th, 2025 12:14 AM
Apr 23, 2017 News
An early Saturday morning fire suspected to be electrical in origin destroyed a two-storey wooden and concrete house in Port Mourant, Corentyne, leaving five persons homeless.
The fire reportedly started around 7:00 am at the Lot 41 Miss Phoebe, Port Mourant, Corentyne home.
Occupant of the home, Tilack Sookram, 37, a security guard, relayed to Kaieteur News that he left for work early yesterday morning while his wife ventured to the market leaving their three children at home alone.
According to Sookram, when his wife returned home around 7:30 am, she found the upper flat of their house engulfed in flames.
“When she come back she see the house on fire and she run to see if them children deh inside”, he said.
Sookram explained that according to his children, they were downstairs when the fire started in the upper flat of the building.
“Them tell me seh that they went downstairs and smell smoke and when they run outside, they see the top part on fire. Them nah know how it start.”
The security guard disclosed that spirited neighbors immediately formed a bucket brigade but to no avail as the fire had already spread further through the house. They were unable to save anything.
The man estimated over $900,000 in household losses as the house was fully furnished. An estimated $375,000 in savings was also destroyed in the fire.
Sookram explained that the owner of the house migrated many years ago and left the home in his care. He stated that despite applying for his own house lot on numerous occasions, he has not been able to acquire one.
Sookram told Kaieteur News that the fire is suspected to be electrical in nature due to electrical problems he frequently experienced.
“I does get current from the post but nuff time because of low voltage and stuff, me thing dem does blow. I had to fix back me fridge two times and buy a new TV because of that.”
Residents disclosed that the previous caretakers of the house would have to tap a GPL wire to get the appliances in the house to work.
According to information received, a report of the electrical problem was made to the Guyana Power and Light office.
The father of three is pleading for assistance from the general public.
Anyone desirous of assisting the family of five can make contact with Sookram on 336-6361 or 639-6307.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]