Latest update April 5th, 2025 12:59 AM
Jul 13, 2016 News
Amidst questions about a cover-up of a deadly accident last month in the Mazaruni backdam, Government yesterday said that a probe has cleared the mining company of any negligence.
The company, Innovative Mining Inc., owned by businessman, Parmeshwar ‘Joe’ Jagmohan, came under investigations more than two weeks ago, after it became know that a Russian geologist who was taking samples in a dug trench in Annamuri backdam, Mazaruni, Region Seven, died after the walls caved in.
The company only notified the regulator, the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC), days after the incident. The accident occurred around June 16th, but GGMC only received the letter on June 23rd – the letter was dated June 20th.
The Russian geologist has been cremated, with his family flying to take back his ashes.
Yesterday, Minister within the Ministry of Natural Resources, Simona Broomes, in updating Kaieteur News on the case, said that a GGMC investigator had journeyed to the area over the weekend and according to his report, there appears to be no negligence by the company.
Jagmohan and his team had met with the Minister and GGMC’s Commissioner (ag), Newell Dennison.
The minister said that based on investigations, the company was conducting prospecting work in the trench. However, it appears that loamy walls collapsed while the Russian geologist had bent down to dig some samples. Another worker who was nearby attempted to grab his hand but the geologist, whose name was given as Oleg, was buried alive.
According to the minister, from statements taken, it appeared workers scrambled in and dug the geologist out and attempted to give him medical help. They radioed to the city’s office for help and a helicopter that was chartered, rushed a doctor to the backdam area.
“We were told that by the time the doctor arrived, it was too late. The doctor pronounced him dead.”
According to Minister Broomes, the company claimed it made contact with the dead man’s family in Russia, and they were flown in and put up at the Marriott Hotel.
“We were told that man’s family did not want him to be buried here and gave permission for him to be cremated. They wanted his ashes to take back to Russia.”
The company reportedly claimed that they made the initial reports of the accident to the police and the Ministry of Social Protection.
“The personnel manager did not know that GGMC had to be notified, but this was done a few days later the incident occurred.”
The company, which had ceased activities, will be allowed to restart its prospecting work, Broomes said, as there is no evidence of neglect.
Apr 05, 2025
2025 CWI Regional 4-Day Championships Round 6… – Eagles lead by 239 runs heading into last day Kaieteur Sports- In-form batsmen, Kevlon Anderson and Captain Tevin Imlach played similar...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com