Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
May 21, 2016 News
The government is closely monitoring the situation in neighbouring Venezuela since reports surfaced suggesting a possible refugee crisis.
On Thursday, President David Granger said that Guyana is obligated to accept
A woman with a sign reading ‘There is no food’ protests against new emergency powers decreed by President Nicolás Maduro on 18 May.
Guyanese who wish to return home.
“I am very concerned about what is taking place particularly the possibility of the involvement of the Venezuelan National Armed Forces, and I hope that an orderly approach is taken for the security of the whole sub-region, because it will have an impact on the Caribbean as well…
“Guyana has special interests because of the territorial issue but I think the whole region is concerned about what is taking place in Venezuela, and I hope that there wouldn’t be a resort to lawlessness,” the President said.
Meanwhile, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Carl Greenidge assured that there is no reason for undue alarm; noting that while authorities don’t foresee any massive cross-border movements in the immediate future, Guyana will, on the basis of an assessment of the way things are, take appropriate actions if the need arises.
“The Cabinet and Government have been alerted to these events that are unfolding but we are not of the view that you are going to get a massive flood of people. However, as a responsible government, we are getting an assessment from our own authorities and from those in a position to advice.”
He explained that there is always movement across all of Guyana’s borders, which would dip and peak at varying periods but noted that, “from what we know of Venezuela’s capabilities we believe that movement of people across the border are not likely to be of any magnitude that Venezuela’s authorities cannot handle, at least in relation to Guyana’s borders.”
When asked about any regional mechanisms that are in place to address this issue should it escalate, the Minister said that the region has noted what is going on but the wider region captured by Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) and the Organisation of American States (OAS), has not examined the situation with a view to intervene in the sense of putting in place any sort of arrangements because such actions does not seem necessary at this point.
Over the last three years, the Venezuelan economy has been on a downturn, which the political Opposition contends is the result of the poor policies implemented by the Nicolas Maduro-led Administration. Earlier this month, over a million citizens signed a petition demanding a referendum to remove the President, who last Friday declared a 60-days state of emergency in the Bolivarian Republic.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]