Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Oct 07, 2015 News
The Guyana Government will not be accepting any facility not properly functioning and as such, the contractors on the US$12M water treatment plant in Region 10 have been called in to remedy the defects uncovered in its filtration system.
This is the position of Minister with Responsibility for Housing and Water, Keith Scott, who during an exclusive interview with this publication yesterday, said that currently a team from the Ministry is overlooking the remedial works being undertaken.
According to Scott, the contract was still in its defects liability period and as such, the contractor bears the responsibility of ensuring that a working facility is turned over to the government.
“I myself visited the place, the plant is running but they have some filtration problems,” the Minister told Kaieteur News.
According to Scott, “we are still within the defects liability period and therefore we are in a position to say that those problems that we had will be addressed.”
He was adamant, “we are not going to close down any plant as some people up there are trying to get us to do.”
Scott said what will be happening, “is that we will maintain all the plants so there will always be a back-up system available.”
He said too, “it is our duty, our intention and our resolve to make sure that all of Linden gets potable water.”
Speaking specifically to the defective water plant in Linden and its contractors, Scott told Kaieteur News, “we have already called them in and as I said, we are within the defects liability period so we are not going to accept any handing over until they deliver what they had signed to deliver.”
The project boasts a modern water treatment facility and a 3,200 cubic metre reservoir at Wisroc and a 2,800 cubic metre reservoir and a 200 foot well at Amelia’s Ward, which was expected to be commissioned before the May 11 General Election, but the idea was shelved after it was realized that the two facilities could not produce enough water to meet the expected demand.
This information was reportedly kept under wraps until it was recently exposed by Chairman of the Linden Interim Management Committee (IMC) Orrin Gordon, during a fact finding tour of the facilities last month.
Gordon is reported saying that during the course of his site visit, he was bombarded by residents from both sides of the river with complaints that they have not been receiving adequate supplies of potable water.
Apr 04, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]