Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Feb 05, 2015 News
One day after the police issued a wanted bulletin, the third person of interest in the recent
Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) drug bust surrendered to police officers yesterday.
Twenty-nine-year old Kenroy Anthony Joseph turned up at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Narcotics Division with his Attorney James Bond.
Joseph is wanted for questioning in connection with narcotics trafficking and forgery. His attorney told this newspaper yesterday that his client became aware of the wanted bulletin after family members brought it to his attention.
Bond said that Joseph is denying that he was ever involved in any of the offences stated by the police. According to him, his client was not at the airport on the day in question, nor does he know the other two persons who have been charged for trying to smuggle cocaine through the airport.
The lawyer said also, that his client seems not to be the third person identified by the others implicated.
Joseph is being kept in police custody.
The police bulletin had said that Joseph is wanted for questioning in an ongoing investigation. The Lot 69 D’Andrade Street, Newtown resident became entangled in the drug matter after a pregnant Canadian citizen and her reputed husband were nabbed with over 20 kilograms of cocaine at CJIA last Friday.
They were set to travel on an outgoing flight to Toronto, Canada, via Fly Jamaica flight OJ 157.
Rohbina Basdeoram, 29, and her husband, Mahendra Ramsuchit, 25, of Rose Hall, East Canje, Berbice, were both charged Monday, with Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry ordering them held until February 13.
They reportedly slipped past airport security undetected by using the VIP Lounge but were later taken off the aircraft and subjected to a search. It was then that ranks of the Police Narcotics Branch unearthed 10.392 kilograms of cocaine stashed in Ramsuchit’s luggage. Another 10.968 kilograms of cocaine was reportedly found in his wife’s baggage.
Because the couple was not on the VIP list, they were subsequently asked to disembark the aircraft.
Initial reports were that investigators wanted to get into contact with a man named Kenneth Jones. Jones, reports said, was a former Personal Assistant to Junior Agriculture Minister Ali Baksh, and had allegedly presented forged documents from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs clearing the couple for use of the VIP Lounge.
The Ministry over the weekend in a statement distanced itself from “Jones” and said that the man’s name was not Kenneth Jones, but Kenroy Joseph. He had been employed there during the period January 3, 2012 to June 10, 2014, when he resigned his position.
”Since his resignation, Mr. Joseph has not been authorized to provide protocol services for the Minister within the Ministry of Agriculture or any other government official,” the Agriculture Ministry had stated.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]