Latest update April 6th, 2025 11:06 AM
Jan 31, 2015 News
Two men arrested last week by a party of police ranks for allegedly planning to invade the home of an Indian national have been remanded to prison.
Junior Solomon, 24, a labourer of Second Street, Agricola, East Bank Demerara and Kelvin Niles, a carwash attendant of Second Street, Agricola, appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court on charges of conspiracy to commit a felony.
The charge jointly read to them by Magistrate Fabayo Azore allege that between January 24 and January 25, last, at Georgetown they conspired with each other and another person unknown to commit a felony.
The men pleaded not guilty and sought bail through their lawyers.
Police Prosecutor, Inspector Michael Grant explained that about 21:00 hours on January 24, last the police received information that a robbery was about to happen.
Grant said, as a result, a party of police ranks went to Sheriff Street where they spotted the two defendants sitting on a culvert. Grant said when questioned by the ranks, the duo claimed that they were waiting on someone.
They were arrested and Solomon’s phone was reportedly taken away.
The court heard that when the ranks checked the messages in Solomon’s phone, they saw one from “Tall Boy” which revealed that they were planning to rob an Indian national who lives in the vicinity.
The robbery, he said, was slated to occur around 02:00 hours the next morning.
Grant said the duo orally confessed to the plot and led the police to the man’s house in Bel Air, saying that that was their target. They were later charged.
Solomon and Niles were represented by Attorneys-at-Law Patrice Henry and Paul Fung-a-Fat respectively. Both lawyers said that their clients have no priors.
Focusing on the alleged confession, Henry claimed that the police threatened to burn his client’s genitals and hands to do so. Fung-a-Fat said that while in custody, his client (Niles) was denied the right to a lawyer, even though he asked.
Fung-a-Fat told the court that the duo has been in custody since Sunday, well in excess of the allowed 72 hours. He said the detention was unlawful and that “anything flowing from that illegality is also illegal.”
On those grounds, the lawyers requested reasonable bail.
Their application met with objections from Inspector Grant. The Prosecutor asked the court to consider the penalty the offence attracts and that the men provided the police with several different addresses.
The Magistrate denied bail and the case will be called again on Monday (February 2) before the Chief Magistrate.
Apr 06, 2025
-Action concludes today Kaieteur Sports- In a historic occurrence for Guyana’s Basketball fraternity the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest opened yesterday, Saturday, morning at the Cliff...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There are moments in the history of nations when fate lays before them a choice not of... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]