Latest update April 4th, 2025 12:14 AM
Jan 28, 2015 News
The US Government, as part of its move to collect US$500,000 from embattled Guyanese businessman, Ed Ahmad, has collected another hefty sum as part of a court-ordered forfeiture agreement.
According to receipts filed on January 20 with the US Marshals, a cheque for the amount of US$27,662.18 was lodged. Earlier this month, US$28.662.18 was also lodged.
On November 28th, US Attorneys wrote Judge Dora Irizarry of the Eastern District of New York, asking that she grant a forfeiture order. Ahmad, well known in Guyana for his business and other interests, has to pay the monies before he is sentenced.
On October 10, 2012, the defendant pleaded guilty, before the same Judge, on count one of the ten-count criminal complaint against him. He told the court that his attorney had advised him that there is no viable defence to the charges against him.
In admitting guilt, Ahmad told Judge Irizarry that between January 1995 and January 2009, within the Eastern District of New York and elsewhere, together with others, he knowingly and intentionally conspired to defraud several lending institutions, in a mortgage fraud scheme that lasted almost 15 years.
The United States Attorney’s office alleges that Ahmad was part of a scheme that defrauded American lending institutions of approximately US$50M, obtaining approval for mortgages on various properties by falsifying documents submitted to the lending institutions, using a string of straw buyers, and other illegal practices.
In detailing the allegations against the Queens businessman with strong political connections, Judge Irizarry outlined a scheme which had as its victims not only financial institutions, but also many ordinary New Yorkers, most of whom were Guyanese immigrants pursuing the American dream of owning their own homes, only to find themselves trapped in a real estate scheme, which ultimately resulted in them losing their homes in foreclosure proceedings while Ahmad and his co-conspirators made millions of dollars.
Ahmad admitted in court that he knew what he was doing was illegal.
Before Ahmad entered his plea, in 2012, Judge Irizarry informed him that his guilty plea would mean that he would be faced with a mandatory US$500,000 criminal forfeiture, and a fine that is double the gross monetary loss caused by his conduct. The government has pegged the momentary loss at US$14M.
While the offence that Ahmad pleaded guilty to carries a maximum term of imprisonment of 30 years, the Federal Sentencing Guidelines will determine exactly how much of those 30 years he is actually sentenced to. Prosecutors had asked for a jail term of between 121 and 151 months (approximately 10 to 13 years).
Ahmad would also be placed on probation for a period that could be up to five years after serving his time.
Ahmad’s case has attracted much attention from the media in Guyana and in New York, fueled by his strong political connections locally and in the U.S.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]