Latest update April 6th, 2025 6:33 AM
Sep 30, 2014 News
A 21-year-old mother of one accused of having an illegal gun loaded and live rounds of matching ammunition, was remanded to prison when she appeared in court yesterday.
Elisabeth Wynter, a shopkeeper of Lot 46 Silvercity, Linden, was taken before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court to respond to a charge of unlawful possession of firearm and ammunition.
It is alleged that last Thursday (September 25) at 14 Miles Backdam in the Mazaruni Mining District, Wynter had a .22 revolver and five live rounds of matching ammunition, while she was not the holder of a firearm licence.
To the allegations, the 21-year-old pleaded not guilty and submitted an application for bail through her lawyer, Kimberly Yearwood.
According to the police, on that day, a party of tipped off police ranks went to her apartment where they met Wynter and asked to conduct a search.
Police Prosecutor, Inspector Michael Grant explained that during the search they found the weapon and ammunition hidden under a mattress. He said that the woman admitted to the police that she used the gun for protection.
She was arrested and further investigations led to her being charged.
The Prosecution made a request for her to remain in custody citing the nature and gravity of the charge. Grant argued too that no special reason had been raised for her to be granted bail.
Her lawyer contended, however, that her client had never admitted to having knowledge of the weapon. Yearwood said that the weapon was not found on Wynter’s person but rather at the shop where she had been working for the past month.
According to Yearwood, the police came and asked to conduct a search and her client cooperated. She insisted that the 21-year-old had no knowledge of the firearm and the ammunition.
In her bail petition, she said that Wynter had never been charged before and is the mother of a one-year-old child.
The Magistrate noted that the facts of the police were contrary to that presented by the Prosecution and said that the trial will determine whether she indeed had the items. Notwithstanding the application by defence, bail was refused and the case is set to be called before Magistrate Allan Wilson at the Bartica Magistrate’s Court on October 9.
Apr 06, 2025
DCB Under 19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament… Kaieteur Sports- Action in the Demerara Cricket Board (DCB) U19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament saw Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA)...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There are moments in the history of nations when fate lays before them a choice not of... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]