Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:31 AM
Sep 16, 2014 News
Ursulla Allicock and her family were preparing to commemorate the first death anniversary of her son Chris’s death, but vandals beat them to the punch and desecrated his tomb and removed his skull in what has been seen as a ritualistic act.
The shocking discovery was made early Sunday morning at the Mabaruma Cemetery in the North West District and police have launched an investigation.
So far, relatives say they have no clue about who would commit such an act but they are convinced that it is the work of spiritualists.
“Somebody went into the burial ground and chop off he head. This is a new thing in this area and people becoming scared because they feel people wukkin’ iniquity,” a resident of the Mabaruma area told this newspaper.
The 30-year-old Chris Allicock was murdered on October 6, last year, when he was struck in his back during an altercation with another resident, Rawle Khan, at Mabaruma Settlement.
According to his mother Ursula Allicock, on Sunday the police at Mabaruma contacted her brother Alan and invited him to the cemetery after receiving a report that his nephew’s tomb had been desecrated.
When Alan arrived at the scene, he was greeted with the shocking sight of Allicock’s broken tomb which exposed his skeletal remains, with the skull missing.
Although the discovery was made on Sunday afternoon, investigators believe that the act was committed the previous night.
An axe and a pair of gloves were found at the scene.
“It hurt me bad to get news like this,” said Ursula Allicock who is visually impaired.
For her it was a double blow within a single year. “It hurt just like when they killed him,” she added.
She too cannot suggest who might have been responsible but she believes that whoever committed the act knows the family.
“Just imagine he and he cousin bury near one another and it had to be somebody who knows Chris because the two tombs don’t have names,” Ursula Allicock said.
The family was planning to paint her son’s tomb on the anniversary of his death.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]