Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Aug 28, 2014 News
A 33-year-old man, who identified himself as a sanitation worker, was remanded to prison after he was charged for robbing a woman with a knife on Saffon Street, Charlestown, Georgetown, on Saturday last. Seron Skeete, of Broad Street, Charlestown, Georgetown appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday to respond to the charge.
Skeete is accused of using a knife to rob Nandkumarie Maraj of her handbag which contained her Nokia cellular phone and one kitchen bowl on August 23 at Saffon Street. He initially pleaded guilty but following his explanation, a not guilty plea was entered by the Magistrate.
Police Prosecutor, Michael Grant told the Court that around 18:00 hours, Maraj was standing on the road, waiting for her husband when she was confronted by Skeete.
Skeete, he said, placed the knife to the woman’s neck and demanded that she hand over her handbag. She complied and he ran away.
Maraj, however, noticed policemen on patrol and quickly reported the matter. They chased after the accused and caught up with him some distance away. Skeete was arrested and the articles were recovered. He was taken to the North Ruimveldt Police Station and charged.
Addressing the court, Skeete said that he had been working with Cevon’s Waste Management for three years and added “Your worship I don’t rob people.”
The Prosecutor objected to bail on the grounds of the nature and gravity of the charge. He said too that a knife was used to commit the robbery and the articles were found on Skeete.
The unrepresented man was remanded to prison and the case will be called again on September 29 before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]