Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
May 01, 2014 Sports
By Michael Benjamin
As officials of the Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) press on in their bid to popularize the sport, residents of the East Ruimveldt and adjoining communities would be in for a treat when the nation’s Simon Pures throw down the gauntlet in two nights of fistic fury when subject association in collaboration with the National Sports Commission (NSC) stages the National Novices Championships at the East Ruimveldt Community Centre Ground, California Square, East Ruimveldt tomorrow and Saturday nights.
President of the GBA, Steve Ninvalle (2nd R), interacts with the team out of the NOC shortly after they had arrived in Georgetown. Others in photo L-R back Terrence Poole, Wensel Thomas, Lawrence Kellman and Brandon Cabose
Though this is the first stage after the U-16 category, officials are confident that the young pugilists are good and ready to entertain the droves that are anticipated to flock the venue in high anticipation of the slugfests. Boxers will be drawn from the nation’s top gyms including the Harpy Eagle (HE), Andrew Lewis Boxing Gym (ALBG), Forgotten Youth Foundation (FYF) and the Essequibo Boxing Gym (EBG) among others.
However, despite the anticipated wide participation, officials are excited following discussions with the relevant authorities that will see the welcome return of the New Opportunity Corps (NOC) to these championships. Situated in Onderneeming on the Essequibo Coast, the NOC has produced more than its fair share of pugilists in the past but over the years following the death of the coach, Winston Roberts, they have become somewhat defunct.
Yesterday morning, five boxers out of that institution travelled to Georgetown to be a part of the action and were met by President of the GBA, Steve Ninvalle at his Main Street Office, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport. The pugilists were accompanied by national coach, Wensel Thomas who has played an integral role in their preparation, Sports Organizer (NOC), Brandon Cabose and Physical Instructor (NOC), Lawrence Kellman. All of those representing the NOC are junior fighters and are Andrew Newton, Nicko Jodha, Calvin Barry, Joel Bess and Samuel Forde. They will be categorized in their respective divisions following the weigh in session tomorrow morning.
Additionally, a team of boxers out of the recently inaugurated Bartica Boxing Gym will arrive in Georgetown to participate in the tournament. Among them will be Ali Maziel in the 75-79lbs division plus Stevie Doprado who has made quite an impression when he travelled to Georgetown to engage his contemporaries last year. Two other Barticians, Zeggie Edwards and Shaquielle Nurse are also expected to add to the entertainment in the 90-94lbs division.
Meanwhile, Mr Ninvalle welcomed the boxers from the NOC and wished them well. He said that boxing has always proven to be the catalyst to the reformation of youths that have gone astray. It is for this reason that he feels that the reintroduction of participation of the youngsters from the NOC would auger well for them. He further said that the move is in compliance of a call made by Minister Frank Anthony for the introduction of a countrywide focus to the development of young pugilists. Mr Kellman said that the boxers are energetic and eager to show off their wares. He acknowledged the input of the late coach, Winston Roberts and said that he (Kellman) is optimistic that the boxers would gel as time progresses. “Hopefully, this will be the stepping stone to many further successes,” said the NOC official.
GBA Tournament Director, Terrence Poole was just as enthusiastic as his fellow executives and urged the attendance of boxing fans. The boxers will conform to the weigh in and medical examination at 17:00hrs this afternoon and the action gets underway tomorrow evening at 18:00hrs.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]