Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Jan 28, 2014 News
– Second invitation rejected- Greenidge
The second attempt by the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ashni Singh to invite the members of the political opposition on discussions over the 2014 budget was rejected.
Carl Greenidge who serves as the Shadow Minister of Finance of the opposition faction A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) was the one rejecting the invitation.
The first “serious” invitation to have discussions on the 2014 budget was on January 13, last, via an email to Greenidge and other members of the opposition faction.
But this was met with much disdain since according to Greenidge, Singh is yet to respond to the APNU’s proposal on the process for future discussions so as to prevent the confusion which surrounded the 2013 and 2012 budget discussions.
Singh is still to send his suggestions on the refinements to the proposal sent by Greenidge last year.
Since the Minister makes his second attempt to invite the faction to engage in discussions on the budget without honouring his initial arrangements, Greenidge says that is a “most inappropriate setting for any discussions, let alone amicable ones.
“We have no option but to take the way in which the joint decisions have been studiously ignored as a sign of the lack of seriousness on the part of the Government representatives towards the discussions and their contempt towards the Opposition.”
APNU’s financial spokesman also wrote Dr. Singh expressing his concern about his statements in the press which suggest that the opposition had falsely claimed that there have been no meaningful discussions on the budget.
Greenidge in his letter to Dr. Singh said, “Subsequent to the decision of the Party Leaders and prior to November 14, the government and Parliamentary Opposition parties did not meet on the matter.
“Since September 9 the Government’s side has been in receipt of our proposals for topics as well as a process that could form the basis of the discussions.
“No subsequent discussions touching on either the substance or philosophy of future Budgets have taken place in my presence…In the circumstances, the portrayal of your invitation of January 13 as something intended to advance our discussions on Budget 2014 is beguiling. It cannot be accepted.”
In the letter to Dr. Singh, the former Finance Minister also reiterated that he is therefore not in a position to recommend to any of the Opposition Parties that they take up his second offer.
“It is clear, therefore, that the conditions are not at all ripe for any fruitful Budget dialogue. Further discussions prior to the presentation of the Appropriation Bill would be pointless at this stage.”
He added, “If it is the case that your Cabinet has cleared you to proceed to the House with a Budget unencumbered by opinions other than those of the People’s Progressive Party and those persons and entities it deems politically worthy, that is unfortunate.”
Greenidge also stressed that if the Finance Minister had intended to pursue the call for dialogue seriously, then the members of the Cabinet would have ensured that he convened the necessary meetings and provided the agreed information on time.
“We reserve the right to react to the presentation in an appropriate manner. I note that you have thrown out an open invitation for the Parties of the Opposition to approach you independently of the process suggested by President Donald Ramotar and agreed to by the other Party Leaders.
“Even at this stage one could be sure that the nature of their responses would be a measure of their attitude to the Government’s cynical and arrogant approach to an exercise we agreed at the very outset could not be rushed through in a couple of meetings, which is all that the time now remaining would permit.”
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]