Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:45 PM
Jan 25, 2014 News
Chief Magistrate, Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, yesterday ordered two youths held for the discovery of one M16 rifle, 61 live rounds of ammunitions and grenades on Tuesday.
Yesterday, at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court, Kevin George, 18, of Costello Housing Scheme, Georgetown and a 17-year-old of 158 Curtis Street, Albouystown were indicted for three gun-related crimes.
According to the Prosecution the two youths were seen by ranks on a motorcycle patrol, acting suspiciously on Aubrey Barker Road, South Ruimveldt, moments before they were nabbed with the weapons.
On January 22, at South Ruimveldt, Georgetown, without lawful authority they allegedly had explosive devices in their possession; that is to say one concussion and one explosive grenade.
The Prosecution claimed too that they were also busted with one M16 rifle and sixty one .223 ammunition, whilst neither of them were holders of firearms licence.
The two youths who were unrepresented by legal counsel stood alone in the prisoners’ docks and pleaded not guilty to the criminal offences.
When addressing the court, neither of the accused submitted a bail application for the consideration of the court.
George stated that he had previously been arraigned on an assault charge but nothing materialized from the charge. He also told the court that he had been employed at a car wash.
Meanwhile, the other accused told the court that he is currently unemployed and has never been charged and placed before any court. Representing the Prosecution was Inspector Michael Grant who attempted to recap the day in question for those present at the court hearing.
Grant said that it was about 11:15 hours that day, when police ranks who were on patrol on Aubrey Barker Road in the vicinity of Penny Lane, when they noticed the two acting in what he described as ‘a suspicious manner.’
He explained that at that time, George, named as the number one accused, was spotted with a haversack on his back but as the ranks approached them, he quickly handed it over to the other teen.
However, the teen retaliated by shoving it back at him. As a result, George threw it on the ground which was where the rank was able to pick it up and search through the haversack.
According to Inspector Grant, upon checking the bag the ranks uncovered the dangerous items. The two were then apprehended and taken to the Brickdam Police Station where charges were subsequently laid.
The Prosecutor asked the court to note that before the party left the scene of the discovery, one of the ranks asked George and the other accused whether they were licensed firearm holders. They both indicated that they weren’t.
Inspector Grant said that the serious nature and prevalence of the offence were sufficient grounds for the two youths to be held in remand.
He said, too, that the crime requires special reasons to be advanced for bail and maintained that no special reasons for it to be issued were raised by either of the two accused.
The Chief Magistrate upheld the objections of the Prosecution and the two accused were refused bail. Their next scheduled court appearance is February 11.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com