Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Jan 04, 2014 News
Celebrating one’s 60th birthday should be a happy time. However it may not be so for a poor security guard employed by the Roshan Khan (RK) Security Service in New Amsterdam who celebrated that milestone yesterday.
When some employers shower their workers with gifts and other benefits and some go into retirement being showered with lavish benefits. A poor security guard is fighting for what should be his and is contemplating his next move after taking his story to the media, because he feels he might be victimized.
Surendralall, who was 60 yesterday and has been working at the RK’s Security Service for the past four years, is upset over the treatment he has received from the Company in relation to his claims for the National Insurance Schem’s (NIS) sickness benefit on two occasions.
The man who works as an armed guard also served as a Supervisor with the company from 2009 to 2012. He stated that being a senior employee once with the company, he cannot understand the distasteful treatment he is receiving.
Explaining his plight, Surendralall stated that in 2010 he took ill with his eyes. He underwent surgery and was given 30 days sick leave by the doctor at the New Amsterdam Hospital at the completion of the procedure.
He subsequently forward his relevant documents to RK’s Head Office to be processed and dispatched to the NIS so that he could receive his benefit, but to this date, has not received a cent for his sickness benefits despite his many efforts.
The hapless Surendralall stated that he took sick on October 3, 2012 (last year) and was hospitalised for 11 days. He said that upon his discharged from hospital; he prepared a claim and took it on October 17, to the RK’s Office to be processed for his necessary benefits.
He gave the form to the Area Manager, who claimed that she forwarded it to the Georgetown Office for the necessary follow up procedure and payments. However, to his horror he has not received a word much less a cent. Upon investigation the man stated that he found out that the documents were never sent to the NIS.
His shock did not end there. The man said that when he enquired from the New Amsterdam Area Manager about the situation. He was told by the manager that when she enquired from the authorities in the RK’s head office in Georgetown she was told that when workers are close to the age of 60, they are not entitled to NIS benefits. This, he stated, is unbelievable and awful.
This latest revelation has caused Surendralall great distress and agony to know that all the years he has been working and contributing to the NIS scheme that he was being robbed by the company and needs some explanation.
Surendralall wanted to celebrate the big day in a relaxed manner. However, he has to spend the day contemplating what may be. He is fearful that he may be robbed again due to the uncaring attitude of the relevant personnels.
He said that he doesn’t have much confidence in the system. There seems to be something fishy going on at both the NIS and his head office. He even called the General Manager who promised to look into the matter but, to date hasn’t even responded.
He is not too sure where the underhand activity is taking place, but is calling on the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mr. Roshan Khan, to launch an immediate investigation. He feels that there is a high level of incompetency in the operations of the RK Security Service.
Area Manager of RK’s, Ms. Amelia Roopnarain, stated that the matter is out of her hands since all claims are usually sent to RK’s Headquarters for processing. She said that she did what she had to do and it is for the head office in Georgetown to explain.
The hapless man stated that he doesn’t know what to do next, but will be seeking further advice.
Apr 04, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]