Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:31 AM
Jun 13, 2013 News
Another man who was caught with a bag containing eight kilograms of compressed marijuana back in February 2013, has been jailed for three years and fined a total of $7.2M in Berbice. The fine represented three times the street value of the illicit substance.
The man, Wayne Lindie, 37, called “Wayne”, of Glasgow Housing Scheme, East Bank Berbice received the penalty from Magistrate Adela Nagamootoo when he appeared before her at the New Amsterdam Magistrate’s Court.
He was found guilty on the charge of possession of narcotics for the purpose of trafficking.
Sergeant Phillip Sheriff told the court that on Monday February 11, between 10:00 hrs and 11:00 hrs, police were on mobile patrol in the Stanleytown area when they noticed a man hurrying down a lonely dam in the vicinity of the New Amsterdam Tannery.
The man had a black garbage bag slung over his shoulder. The police pursued the man, and eventually stopped and searched him. The cops found a number of large parcels inside the bag.
The parcels which were suspected to contain leaves, seeds and stems of the marijuana plant were seized and Lindie and the items were taken into custody at the Central Police station. The items were tested and weighed and found to be 8KG of compressed marijuana.
He had pleaded not guilty. He was found guilty on Tuesday.
Lindie was represented by Attorney at law Ryan Crawford. The defence had submitted that on the day in question the accused was by his sister’s house which is located in the same area. The police subsequently came and called him out of the yard and showed him a bag between some bushes on a vacant plot of land not too far away.
He was questioned about the bag to which he denied knowledge. However the police insisted that it was his and he was arrested and charged.
Lindie, who told the court that he is a father of five, begged for mercy stating that it was the first time he had been charged for anything and that he was the sole bread winner for his family.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]