Latest update April 5th, 2025 12:59 AM
Jun 01, 2013 News
Three of the five Guyanese women held in Barbados, after authorities allegedly cracked a human trafficking ring, have returned to Guyana.
According to reports, the women came into the country on Thursday evening.
Kaieteur News was told that the women have reported to the Ministry of Human Services.
The women reportedly told relatives that the Barbadian authorities have asked that they return to Barbados on June 11. Two of the girls who remained in Barbados are now making allegations that one of the persons charged-Amelia Joseph- owes her money.
Kaieteur News was further told that both girls made similar allegations against relatives here in Guyana. Efforts yesterday to contact the Minister of Human Services for a comment proved futile.
Last week, three Guyanese women who had once worked with two Barbadian nationals ensnared in a trafficking-in-persons probe there, claimed that they have been receiving numerous calls from persons offering to pay them to give statements against the accused.
One of the women told Kaieteur News that she was at work some two weeks ago when she received the first call. The woman explained that the male voice on the other end of the call asked if she had known the male and female accused.
The woman claimed that after confirming that she knew the two Barbadian nationals, the caller offered her some Bds $2000 to say that she was trafficked by the two persons and she had escaped.
The woman said she was somewhat dumbfounded by the call. She said that she started questioning the person about the motive behind the call. The second woman told Kaieteur News that she received a call last week from a man who said he was in Barbados.
Days after the five Guyanese women alleged that they were trafficked in Barbados; relatives of the alleged victims in Guyana claimed that the girls were lying.
According to relatives, all of the alleged victims were in contact with them regularly and no one said that they were being held against their will. The aunt of one 19-year-old ‘victim’ had stated that her niece had made the same allegations against orphanage directors where she grew up.
The aunt of another 19-year-old stated that her niece made similar allegations last year against another aunt. The woman told Kaieteur News that her niece has implicated three persons who have no knowledge about “trafficking her”.
The aunt also told Kaieteur News that her niece was in Barbados for over six months. The woman said that her niece would call, text and send money to her from Barbados. “She used to call her family, send money and everything…She never one day said anybody was keeping her against her will.”
The five women were caught in bathing suits in Nelson Street, Barbados after a raid led by the police Sex Crimes and Trafficking Unit.
Apr 05, 2025
2025 CWI Regional 4-Day Championships Round 6… – Eagles lead by 239 runs heading into last day Kaieteur Sports- In-form batsmen, Kevlon Anderson and Captain Tevin Imlach played similar...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]