Latest update April 4th, 2025 12:14 AM
May 31, 2013 Letters
Dear Editor,
In the early 60s when there was the civil disturbance in Guyana a number of individuals relocated from far and wide to squat on the present piece of land referred to as Vryheid’s Lust North.
Some time in the late 60s and early 70s the said area was surveyed and the land was parceled out into house lots, school compound and roads. It was realized that a number of legitimate squatters found themselves either in the school compound or on the road. Some of these persons quickly relocated their houses to identified available house lots.
Some stayed until they were later forced to relocate by the Ministry of Housing. Some time in the mid 90s titles were granted to all who were living on house lots as identified on a certified plan that is kept by the Central Housing and Planning Authority.
The main entrance to this area is a road referred to as the Montrose School road. On entering the road there is a portion of land to the left of the existing road, before the trench, which was identified on the plan as part of the road. This portion of land was occupied by two families.
The first, during regularization, was given a house lot out of the area and relocated leaving a shack standing on the spot. This shack was dismantled some time mid last year and the land is now taken over by a bar commonly known as “Container Bar” even though the Neighborhood Democratic Council has put up a big sign to prevent individuals from utilizing the land.
For whatever reasons, the NDC seems not to care that its sign is ignored and the land is now occupied. The second family is still living on the land identified as road even though they were encouraged to approach the CH&PA during regularization to be allocated a house lot. Unfortunately the NDC, the CH&PA and the Ministry of Housing seem to be powerless to have this family to relocate so that development of the area can take place.
Just after the trench there is a stretch of land on the left of the existing road. During squatting this land was occupied by a family, who after the survey, relocated to an identified house lot. This area was left vacant until the mid-2000 when a shack was constructed on the southern half of the land, by a member of the Community Development Group for his daughter.
This matter was reported to the NDC and the Ministry of Housing. After some action by the Ministry of Housing the matter died a natural death and nothing was done to the defaulters. The member of the CDC subsequently sold his house lot in the area, that he bought from the CH&PA during regularization, and started squatting in the shack. He died about two years ago.
Some time last year a lady started to fill up the northern half of the vacant area but was stopped by the NCD since it was said that that portion of land was the government reserve. A few weeks ago the lady who owned this shack started a concrete structure.
The matter was reported to the NDC but they said that they cannot do anything since the matter is a very sensitive one because the woman is the sister of the Chairman of the NDC. It should be noted that this woman was already allocated a house lot at La Parfaite Harmonie.
The matter was then reported to the Secretary of the DREO and on following a few days later was told that she did not get the time to tell the DREO.
It is so unfair that one set of individuals, because they own a bar and can pay their way out, is allowed to occupy the Government reserve and another set of individuals, because they are related to the Chairman of the NDC, can construct on the Government reserve, but the woman who has no connections and no money to offer, was prevented from building even though she paid to get earth to fill the reserve.
Concern Residents of Vryheid’s Lust North
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]