Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:31 AM
Apr 26, 2013 News
– Says attacker made “solid plan” to trap him
The 62-year-old money changer who was stabbed several times about the body on Tuesday last, has said that his attacker had met with him the day prior to the incident, and had “fooled” him into walking with $1.6M in exchange for US $8,000.
Orin Braithwaite who had been admitted to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation said that he never expected that he would have been conned, and especially not by someone who had done business with him before.
The 62-year-old East Ruimveldt resident explained that while he does not know his attacker personally, they did meet on at least four occasions to change money; that too in fairly large amounts (over US $2,000).
“He met with me on America Street on Monday and told me that he has US $8,000 to change and that he will come back on Tuesday so I told him to come. On Tuesday now, he called me and I told him to meet me at the same place and he come and I went into his car,” Braithwaite said.
He added that “after I went into his car, he start drive and when he pass Ashmin’s (High and Hadfield Streets), I know something was fishy, because you don’t go so far to transact money business.”
According to Braithwaite, when his attacker turned into D’Urban Street, he drew a knife “and start jooking me up and I was trying to bar and he trying to bore me with one hand and steering with the other hand.”
“We continued to fight until I ended up with the knife and I hold onto the steering wheel then I jump out and he ended up in the ditch,” the injured man said while on his hospital bed.
Meanwhile, Braithwaite said that he has been feeling a lot better, and hopes to be discharged soon.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]