Latest update April 3rd, 2025 5:06 PM
Mar 19, 2013 News
-police examine several theories
Police in Berbice are hell bent on solving the latest mystery murder–that of United States of America military Doctor Captain Max Kungel.
The 42-year old Charlotte, North Carolina-based Guyanese was found dead on Sunday in a rented Toyota Tundra in rice producing areas of the Corentyne backlands.
While the killing initially appears to be the result of a robbery, investigators are working on other theories which seem more plausible at this time.
Police sources in Berbice have told this newspaper that apart from robbery as a motive, investigators are probing reports of a family feud that could have been responsible for Kungel’s death.
Kaieteur News understands that the police are examining reports that Kungel was linked to large portions of property left by his deceased relatives.
“Something was brewing,” was all that a source close to the investigations was prepared to reveal.
The police have not ruled out robbery, since several pieces of Kungel’s personal property were missing.
Kungel’s three cellular phones and three pieces of jewellery he was wearing when he was last seen alive were missing; his wallet was empty, save for a few U.S coins and a US$20.
“This could be a camouflage, though. We are narrowing down things to see where to start,” the source said, adding that persons in the area either do not know anything or are being very tightlipped.
A post mortem examination was performed on Kungel’s body yesterday, confirming that he died from gunshot wounds.
Two .25 calibre warheads were recovered from his body, leading police to concentrate in a particular direction although not ruling out all other possibilities.
“A .25 calibre weapon is usually associated with a female,” a police source told this newspaper.
A close examination of Kungel’s wounds suggests that he was shot at close range.
“Very close,” the source declared.
“Whoever did this planned it very well. This is a different murder from one in which two men are fighting. It is not straightforward. The fact that the phones were taken could be a plan to remove all possible leads,” the source explained.
However, investigators were provided with the numbers for the cell phones and will be seeking the assistance of the local telephone companies to trace the calls made to and from them.
So far no one has been arrested.
Kaieteur News understands that the local American embassy is very interested in the matter as police sources have confirmed that they have already contacted the local Police Force.
The embassy has not yet issued a statement but it has indicated that it will be informing this newspaper of its position soon.
Dr. Kungel arrived in Guyana on March 7, last, to attend a religious function to commemorate his grandmother’s ‘one-year’ death anniversary and was staying at his sister Anjanie’s residence at Lot 202, Number 72 Village, Corentyne.
He was scheduled to leave Guyana on Monday for North Carolina where he resided. He is not married nor does he have any children.
According to his cousin, Ernesto, the mysterious slaying of Kungel really came as a shock to the entire family since he [Kungel] was a very friendly, caring person who was never known to have problems with anyone, both in Guyana and the U.S.A.
He stated that Kungel was last seen shortly after 21:00 hrs on Saturday evening at the place in which he resided, after he had mixed and mingled with his relatives and friends in the area.
He later left in a white Tacoma GLL 3356, which he rented from Rockaway Rentals.
“It look like somebody rob he and shoot he—he get shot just below his left side stomach—he was sitting in his car seat and his wallet and car keys—both on the ground- -wallet empty and usually he get a big cricket band, a chain and a ring—all three gone,” Ernesto told this newspaper.
Word of his death was relayed to relatives at around 09:00 hrs on Sunday.
“Everyone went to the Number 71 backdam—the Branch Road—and he was lying in his left hand drive seat… One of his shoes outside the van and one inside.
“He’s not really a bad guy to anybody—he always good to the family and always willing to lend a helping hand to anybody,” he stated.
Detectives have taken possession of two laptops from the house he was staying, his U.S. Passport and U.S. Army card.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]