Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Oct 29, 2012 News
Belgrave shooting death…
Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority Cecil Kennard is still perusing
a report concerning the death of 21-year-old Dameon Belgrave, who was accidentally killed by police on October 5.
But Mr. Kennard told Kaieteur News yesterday that he may have to send the file back to police for clarity on certain aspects of the case.
“If I am not satisfied…I would have the police conduct further investigations into the matter…if there is anything misunderstood, the file would have to be sent back to the police for clarity, and in this case I think the file would have to go back to the police for clarity on certain issues,” Kennard said.
He added that if all is clear, he will have the file sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) who would decide whether charges will be recommended for the Police Officers responsible for Belgrave’s death.
He however explained that he is seeking to conclude checking of the file as fast as possible, but expressed caution in dealing with such a delicate matter.
The Police Complaints Chairman added that he only received the post mortem report last week and was getting around to viewing its contents.
Meanwhile, Belgrave’s mother, Donna Sulker, said that ever since a visit to her home by Police Commissioner Leroy Brummel, who had made certain promises to her, she has heard nothing more about the matter.
“Certain promises were made and I don’t know what is happening. No one has contacted me or told me anything since the police came to my home.”
Sulker said she too has made no contact with the police since the Commissioner had spoken to her and ensured a thorough investigation into the matter. The woman said she is trying to cope with the passing of her son, but would like to know what is happening with her son’s case.
Belgrave was slain one day short of his 22nd birthday when police opened fire on a car they were chasing in the vicinity of the White Castle Fish Shop in Hadfield Street.
At the time, the young man was celebrating with friends near the popular hangout spot.
The car that the police were pursuing was being driven by a 15-year-old boy who had taken the vehicle without the owner or his father’s knowledge.
Apr 04, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com