Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
Aug 17, 2012 News
A gathering at a park established overnight Wednesday just east of Parliament Buildings, led by Red Thread, was yesterday dismantled by ranks of the Guyana Police Force.
The group had erected a tent which they called the ‘People’s Parliament’ where they had been camping out since Wednesday afternoon.
This was, however, demolished and removed by ranks of the Guyana Police Force yesterday.
Sherlina Nageer, more familiar for her work as an LGBT activist and spokesperson, and longtime member of the Society Against Sexual Orientation Discrimination (SASOD) slammed the police’s actions.
She explained that the grouping, inclusive of other rights organizations, “came out to this location and we set up a tent- the People’s Parliament”.
She explained that the Guyana national parliament is currently on “holiday as if there is no work to be done in Guyana and we say that this is madness…there is a lot of work still to be done in Guyana.”
Nageer explained, “We are out here talking to our fellow Guyanese to get opinions on the situation in Linden and get ideas on what can be done”.
Yesterday morning, less than 24 hours after the group would have set up camp, ranks from the Guyana Police Force descended on the locale and indicated that the grouping would have to remove since there was no permission granted to conduct the exercise.
Nageer claimed that she was threatened by one of the female ranks that should she not remove from the tent she would be arrested.
The social activist said that she is yet to be informed as to the nature of the charges that were to be laid against her.
“We are dialoguing with our fellow Guyanese on what needs to be done and getting people’s ideas in solidarity with Linden but we are also looking beyond Linden”.
She is adamant that the “fact is the police have no right to remove us…we are not protesting, we are not blocking the roads, we are not blocking the streets we are just assembled here peacefully soliciting views from our fellow Guyanese”.
She pointed out that the locale is a “public park” with no signage erected to indicate that the “camping out” was prohibited.
“We seem to be a threat to them (police) simply because we are talking to our fellow Guyanese about solutions,” Nageer said.
The grouping has vowed to keep up their actions in solidarity with the plight of Lindeners.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]