Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
Aug 17, 2012 News
While on a visit to Region Two yesterday, Minister within the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development, Norman Whittaker, told vendors at Charity, that two landfill sites are soon to become operational on the Essequibo Coast.
He indicated that two sites have already been identified.
According to Whittaker, bids have been circulating in the newspapers and so far, three prospective contractors have already shown interest in collecting garbage from homes on the Coast, stretching from Charity to Supenaam.
Whittaker said that because markets were recognised as one of the most significant contributory factors for the disposal of solid waste, the initiative to establish landfill sites, especially on the Coast, was aimed at regularising the poor practice of disposal by residents.
Whittaker stressed that systems are already in place to penalise residents for dumping garbage anywhere and everywhere.
At present, the Anna Regina Town Council collects garbage at a cost of $200 and $300 per bag.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]