Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
May 19, 2012 News
– abandons stolen car at New Amsterdam
By Michael Jordan
The prime suspect in the murder of Insurance Executive, Bert Whyte, narrowly escaped from
police at New Amsterdam, Berbice on Thursday night.
But he was forced to abandon his victim’s stolen car. Police have intensified the search for him.
Kaieteur News understands that a police traffic rank was in the vicinity of Cow Dam, Angoy’s Avenue, New Amsterdam around 22:00 hrs, when he observed someone driving a Toyota Sprinter with cardboard number plates.
The traffic rank reportedly attempted to make the driver pull over, but the occupant drove further into Angoy’s Avenue. Kaieteur News understands that the rank was concerned for his safety and exited the crime–ridden area before radioing for a back-up patrol.
Police visited the scene and eventually found the vehicle near the Stanleytown, New Amsterdam foreshore.
The car has been impounded at the Central Police Station in New Amsterdam. Police have confirmed that the car is the same one that was stolen from Whyte on Monday night after another occupant stabbed him.
Police believe that the man they are looking for is Clive Knights, a former Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation security guard who had resided on the East Coast of Demerara, but is reportedly now living in Berbice.
There is some concern that the fugitive may flee to Suriname, since he is said to have previously visited the Dutch-speaking territory.
Kaieteur News understands that Knights had hidden the vehicle in a New Amsterdam workshop.
He also reportedly contacted some of his associates in an attempt to have the car sold.
Police identified the suspect a few days ago and later confirmed that the stolen vehicle was taken across the Berbice Bridge some hours after Whyte was slain. The licence numbers of all vehicles crossing the bridge are recorded. Security cameras are also mounted near the bridge.
According to sources, Knights met Bert Whyte about two years ago, when he was working as a security guard at the GPHC. At the time, Whyte was the GPHC’s Personnel Manager.
Knights was reportedly fired on one occasion, but was given back his job.
Knights is said to be in his thirties. He is about five feet five inches and is dark in complexion.
The two men were said to have been close acquaintances.
Reports indicate that the fugitive had gravitated to robbery. He was a suspect in at least two vehicle thefts.
It is believed that he lured Whyte to Bentinck Street with the sole aim of killing him and taking the vehicle.
Whyte, it is believed, had to be disposed of because he could have identified his attacker.
Checks of Whyte’s movements last Monday revealed that he had picked up his niece from a private school in the city, hours before his death. The child told detectives that there was another man who was unfamiliar to her in Whyte’s car when she was picked up.
Instead of taking his niece home, Whyte reportedly dropped the girl off at the Stabroek Speedboat Stelling for her to make her way home to Pouderoyen.
Accompanied by his killer, he then made the fateful journey to Bentinck Street, Tiger Bay. Reports indicate that the suspect was driving while Whyte, a Guyana and Trinidad Mutual Life Insurance Company Limited Manager, was in the front passenger seat.
Whyte, of Pouderoyen, West Bank Demerara, was seen later, struggling with another man in his car before exiting the vehicle and running into Main Street and collapsing outside of a Main Street Restaurant and Bar.
He managed to give his cellular phone to the security personnel at the establishment who subsequently contacted relatives.
They managed to rush him to the GPHC where he died shortly after.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]