Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Feb 29, 2012 News
-conciliation for three lecturers sent home in one week after resumption
The resumption of duty by three University of Guyana lecturers, whose
An agreement has been reached for workers to resume duties at UG following weeks of protests over conditions there.
services ended in January, will be up for conciliation within one week by the Ministry of Labour.
This is according to a statement issued by the University which pointed out that the Ministry has been instrumental in brokering an agreement between the Administration, the University of Guyana Senior Staff Association (UGSSA) and the University of Guyana Workers Union (UGWU).
In keeping with the agreement, the concerned parties will go to conciliation this week in an effort to resolve the matter involving the lecturers, the statement said. As part of the agreement brokered by the Ministry, university workers are required to refrain from industrial action guided by a detailed Terms of Resumption which said that the unions will call off all forms of industrial actions of their members as of Monday; that there shall be no victimization or harassment by either side; that the status quo ante will prevail and that there shall be no break in service.
Also, the parties will resume discussions at the bilateral level on a monthly basis for the next three months and thereafter on a mutually agreed basis to discuss matters of interest.
According to the statement too, the Administration will agree to convene a meeting between the unions and the negotiating team within one month of the submissions from the unions of their Memorandum of Demands for workers within their respective bargaining units.
The Terms of Resumption also detail that should the parties fail to resolve their differences, the Ministry of Labour will conciliate in the matter. It was further pointed out that the Administration “shall work with the Ministries of Education and Finance to satisfy the applicable terms of the World Bank Loan in a speedy manner.”
Prior to the meetings at the Ministry of Labour which commenced last week Tuesday, Pro-Chancellor, Professor Prem Misir, had met with Executives of the University of Guyana Staff Association, the University of Guyana Workers Union and the University of Guyana Student Society on two occasions and committed to working steadfastly towards the timely resolution of the issues they raised.
A week later, the University Administration had a joint meeting with representatives of the three groups at which the parties discussed matters pertinent to the World Bank Loan, the Caribbean Development Grant to review the institution’s regulatory structure, its financial status, conditions of service, the infrastructure and unavailability of grades. Action was agreed on a number of issues some of which have already commenced, according to the statement.
“The University Administration has always been fully committed to achieving the aims stated when the University was established in 1963 – to provide a place of education, learning and research of a standard required and expected of a university of the highest standard, and to secure the advancement of knowledge and the diffusion and extension of arts, sciences and learning throughout Guyana,” the statement added.
The University Administration has also stated its commitment to working with staff, students and external stakeholders, who have an expressed desire to see the university continue to play a major role in the development of Guyana.
Workers of UG and students alike have been clamoring for better conditions and the reinstatement of three lecturers who were sent home. There were a number of protests recently at UG.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]