Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Dec 02, 2011 News
After experiencing the loss of her two children several years ago by fire, Melissa Taylor,
of 24 John Street, Werk-en-Rust, was in a state of shock early yesterday morning as she was again made homeless.
The two-storey wooden and concrete building that the family of eight shared was gutted in the upper flat, while contractor Randolph Taylor was burnt on the shoulder and back while moving his children out of the burning structure.
He was later taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was treated.
Melissa Taylor had previously lived in Sophia seven years ago when she lost her house and children in a fire. Following that devastating occurrence she had moved to the John Street residence.
Reports reveal that the fire started at 08:15 hrs from an electrical outlet in the rear of a bedroom in the house, where children were playing.
Four persons were in the house when smoke was spotted coming from the rear room on the upper flat. According to Taylor, her husband was watching an elections update, while she was busy with one of her children on the verandah. She said her husband then raised an alarm after seeing smoke from a back room. Which she later learnt emanated from an electrical outlet.
According to Ingrid Sheriff, who occupies the lower flat, she was cooking when she noticed smoke which turned out to be a fire, and which nearly damaged the entire building.
Adding that all her valuables were water-soaked, Sheriff said “God will see me through these times…as an adult you always have to be careful, especially when you have children, keep an eye on them.”
The brave woman, who seemed to be unmoved by the entire ordeal, noted that the fire service was prompt in their response and thanked the officers, since it could have been worse.
“My daughter was in shock because she had lost her children before in a fire,” Sheriff said.
According to Fire Chief Marlon Gentle, they received a call at 08:25 hrs and three fire engines responded – two from Central and one from Albertown Fire station.
Gentle said fire fighters stopped the blaze from spreading further and engulfing the entire building.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]