Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
Nov 25, 2011 Sports
Local heavyweight champion, Kurt Bess will face the sternest test of his career when he squares off with Barbadian based Guyanese, Shawn Cox for the latter fighter’s World Boxing Council (WBC) Caribbean Boxing Federation (CABOFE) Cruiserweight title at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH), Saturday December 17 next.
The two will headline a card that will see Mark Austin seeking redemption in the main supporting bout against Miguel Antoine in a highly anticipated 8 rounds welterweight clash while Clive Atwell will attempt to augment his fledgling career with a win over Barbadian based Guyanese, Gardiel Roberts in a 130lbs shindig. The night’s opener will witness a 4 rounds Bantamweight clash between Hewley Robinson and debutant Prince Slowe.
Some of the boxers affix their names to their contracts before leaving for their respective gyms yesterday afternoon.
The card was planned after head of Briso Promotions, Ceon Bristol, was forced to postpone his card that would have featured Andrew ‘Sixheads’ Lewis against American, Hector ‘Machito’ Camacho on the same date. Officials of the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC), in an effort to fill the chasm, stepped in with the holiday treat. Yesterday afternoon, most of the pugilists convened at Abdool and Abdools Insurance to affix their signatures to their respective contracts.
Cox is no stranger to the local scene having defeated Leon ‘The Lion’ Gilkes in an earlier edition of the ProAm Boxing Cards. He is a strong puncher with the body of a professional wrestler, a vast contrast to Bess whose punching power belies his wiry frame. Bess has had a poor start to his career, losing on debut to Trinidadian, Kirston Manswell. He also suffered losses to Mitchell Rogers and Anthony Augustin while under the wings of James Walcott at the Harpy Eagles Boxing Gym.
Bess then decided to move over to the Andrew ‘Sixheads’ Lewis Boxing Gym under the tutelage of George ‘Canchi’ Oprecht. Ever since then he has improved leaps and bounds avenging his losses to Rogers and Augustin in grand style.
His decisive victories over Rogers and Cleveland Fraser for the local light/heavyweight and heavyweight titles respectively are attestations of his immense strides since then. He now boasts a respectable 9-5-4 record with two major titles and a reputation as a fearsome puncher. Whether this is enough to get pass Cox will be seen on fight night.
Atwell currently resides in Dominica and had had a torrid time finding reputable opponents. He subsequently clinched a fight with Mark Austin and secured a draw before returning to score an easy win over Orland ‘Pocket Rocket’ Rogers in his last appearance in the local ring. His opponent Roberts has surrendered a decision to Rudolph Fraser and obviously would want to reinstate himself in the eyes of the Guyanese public.
Austin started his career on a positive note and the pundits had predicted that he was indeed one to watch. The Atwell draw followed by the losses to Antoine and Revlon Lake left him at the crossroads but he staunchly held his ground and rebounded with a lopsided victory over Cecil Smith.
During the signing ceremony yesterday afternoon, Austin was very upbeat and promised to avenge the loss to Antoine. He said that he has been hard at work and will be intensifying activities over the coming days.
Meanwhile, GBBC official, Clairmonte DeSouza disclosed that 2011 has been a good year for the sport. He said that officials of his organization had worked tirelessly to ensure that the local pugilists benefit from the ProAm initiative. He thanked the public for the support rendered and urged their support for this card and others in the future. Mr. DeSouza further voiced the hope that local fighters realize their full potential and fight for major titles during the coming year.
He also acknowledged the support of the corporate community saying that their support has been a major catalyst towards the successful staging of the cards. Four amateur bouts will also comprise the card and the organizers are currently awaiting those names.
The card will be sponsored by Banks DIH Ltd, Castrol, Giftland Office Max, Ansa Mcal and Courts. The admission price remains at $1000 and those attending the card are asked to retain their ticket stubs for a special drawing at the end of the card. The winner will receive two airline tickets to Trinidad and Tobago compliments of Red Jet Airlines.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]