Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Sep 27, 2011 Sports
– Boyce mulling encampment, calls performances “below par”
By Edison Jefford
President of the Athletic Association of Guyana (AAG), Colin Boyce expressed his reservations over the preparations of the Inter-Guiana Games (IGG) team, after examining them at the Police Gymkhana mini-meet at the Police Sports Club Ground on Sunday.
Kaieteur Sport contacted Boyce yesterday for his comment on the quality of the 2011 team, since Guyana had surrendered the title in French Guiana last year. But before addressing the reason for the enquiry, Boyce said that he has to address some other areas.
“Before I comment on whether I believe we have selected our best team, let me first say that as it relates to the preparation of these
athletes and from what I have seen at Gymkhana, some of them were actually below my expectations,” Boyce clearly indicated.
The AAG President told this newspaper that he immediately summoned the two coaches selected to accompany the IGG team, Robert Chisholm and Julian Edmonds on Sunday to enquire about a possible solution to what could become a major problem for them.
“I spoke to the two coaches immediately and maybe we will have to consider an encampment for the team but as you know that sort of thing never really gets the support it needs to succeed but it is something we will have to do if we want to succeed,” he added.
The fact that Guyana needs to send its best team to the Games became eminent after what was an under-strength team surrendered the athletics title Guyana has always won at IGG to Suriname at 2010 competition. It was a costly mistake based on fallible decisions.
Alternative commitments that ranged from examinations to lessons had ruled out five of the best junior athletes from the team last year. CARIFTA Games gold medallist, Jevina Straker was one of the five, prominent at the time, athletes omitted for various reasons.
The other four athletes who were left off the team last year included CARIFTA bronze medallist, Jenella Jonas, Nadine Rodrigues, Jevina Sampson and Chavez Ageday. The replacements for the five athletes left an obvious void in the national junior athletics team.
Three of the five athletes, which included Straker, Sampson and Ageday, were eligible again this year, and were among the 26 athletes identified to compete in Suriname next month. With lots of new faces on the team, those with prior national experience are expected to lead.
“I will discuss whether it is possible for Chisholm and Julian to have all the athletes in one place with the support of their coaches so that we can fine-tune their preparations. We have to take lots of areas serious, including our baton-passing for relays,” Boyce noted.
“I’m very optimistic that I may travel with this team. My main concern right now is the readiness of this team for such a major assignment,” he continued, adding that his association will not take the performance of the team lightly since regaining the title is a top priority.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]